About This Chapter
Types & Uses of Microscopes - Chapter Summary
Whether you have a beginner's or advanced understanding of microscope types and uses, this self-paced chapter can help you gain full comprehension. The engaging lessons compare different types of microscopes and discuss their importance in forensic biometrics. Our short quizzes and practice exam can gauge your understanding and determine which lessons you need to study most. Around-the-clock computer and mobile access ensures you're able to study whenever and wherever you're schedule permits. Take advantage of these resources at your own leisure. When finished, you will be able to:
- Describe electron, light and fluorescence microscopes
- Discuss the parts and uses of compound microscopes
- Define comparison microscopes and explain their uses
- Explain light microscope uses and parts
- Share the definition and uses of scanning electron microscopes
- Provide the definition and discuss the uses of the microspectrophotometer
1. Types of Microscopes: Electron, Light & Fluorescence
Microscopes are used to visualize tiny objects and structures that cannot be seen with the naked eye. In this lesson, learn how light, fluorescence, and electron microscopes work and how they are used in scientific and medical research.
2. Introduction to the Compound Microscope: Parts & Uses
The compound light microscope is a useful tool in any biology laboratory. In this lesson, you'll be introduced to the parts of a compound microscope, as well as understand the function of each of those parts.
3. Comparison Microscope: Definition & Uses
This lesson is going to describe for you something known as the comparison microscope. You'll learn why and when it's used, as well as how it's built and how it works.
4. Light Microscope: Definition, Uses & Parts
Observation is an essential part of science, especially biology. Objects like bacteria, however, are too small to observe with the naked eye. For this reason, the light microscope has become an important and widely used tool for scientists.
5. Scanning Electron Microscope: Definition & Uses
Have you ever used a microscope before? Well, this lesson will define a specific kind of microscope called a scanning electron microscope. You'll also learn the basics of how one works and various examples of its uses.
6. Microspectrophotometer: Definition & Uses
This lesson clearly defines for you what a microspectrophotometer is. You'll also follow two case examples that show how it might be employed and learn about its other uses as well.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Criminal Justice 106: Forensic Science course
- Introduction to Forensic Science
- Physical Evidence & Crime Scene Reconstruction
- Conducting Death Investigations
- Trace Evidence in Hair & Fibers
- Fingerprint Analysis & Collection
- Firearms, Tool Marks & Impression Evidence
- Drugs & Substances in Forensic Science
- Forensic Toxicology
- Forensic Serology
- Basics of DNA in Forensic Science
- Fire & Explosion Investigations
- Computer & Mobile Device Forensics
- Forensic Document Analysis