About This Chapter
Understand the Science of Teaching Reading Standards - Chapter Summary
This chapter provides a thorough overview and explanation of reading standardization in teaching practices and the scientific processes that make them work. You will learn the diverse effects of reading on the mental development of elementary school children and how those effects contribute to further language development in other areas. Discover the impact of standardized reading practices on the following subjects:
- Oral language development
- Print awareness
- Vocabulary development
- Text comprehension
The lessons in this chapter provide thorough information in a quick, manageable format. Read and work at your own pace and return to the lessons anytime via your account dashboard. Our professional subject-matter experts are also available anytime for additional help and support.
1. Understanding the Instruction of Reading Standards: Overview and Explanation
Explore an overview and intent of the science of teaching reading standards, which includes both the components of reading development as well as the pedagogy of reading instruction.
2. Understanding the Instruction of Reading Standards: Phonological & Phonemic Awareness
Early reading can be enhanced through the promotion of students development of phonological and phonemic awareness. This lesson looks at developmental appropriate, research and evidence based assessment as well as practices that promote phonological and phonemic awareness instruction.
3. Understanding the Instruction of Reading Standards: Phonics
The goal of phonics is to help children learn the alphabetic principle. This lesson will discuss developmentally appropriate, research- and evidence-based assessment and instructional practices that promote students' development of grade level skills for phonics according to the Science of Teaching Reading (STR) standards.
4. Understanding the Instruction of Reading Standards: Fluency
Reading fluency is an important but often overlooked component of literacy instruction. Learn about fluency as a part of the Science of Teaching Reading and explore strategies for teaching and assessing fluency.
5. Understanding the Instruction of Reading Standards: Text Comprehension
Have you ever read through a page in a book or newspaper article only to find that you were not sure of what you just read? We will discuss developmentally appropriate, research based assessments and practices to help students develop key strategies and skills that promote reading comprehension.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Other chapters within the 9th Grade English: Help and Review course
- 9th Grade English - Prose: Help and Review
- American Novels for 9th Grade: Help and Review
- American Short Stories for 9th Grade: Help and Review
- Ancient Literature for 9th Grade: Help and Review
- British Fiction for 9th Grade: Help and Review
- Contemporary Fiction for 9th Grade: Help and Review
- 9th Grade Dramatic Literature: Help and Review
- Drama for 9th Grade: Help and Review
- Poetry for 9th Grade: Help and Review
- 9th Grade Literary Terms: Help and Review
- Text Analysis and Close Reading in 9th Grade: Help and Review
- Introduction to High School Writing: Help and Review
- 9th Grade Essay Basics: Types of Essay: Help and Review
- The Writing Process for 9th Grade: Help and Review
- Conventions in 9th Grade Writing: Grammar: Help and Review
- Using Source Materials in 9th Grade English: Help and Review
- Elements of 9th Grade Grammar: Help and Review
- 9th Grade Grammar Usage: Help and Review
- Punctuation in 9th Grade Writing: Help and Review