About This Chapter
Understand the Science of Teaching Reading Standards - Chapter Summary
This chapter provides a thorough overview and explanation of reading standardization in teaching practices and the scientific processes that make them work. You will learn the diverse effects of reading on the mental development of elementary school children and how those effects contribute to further language development in other areas. Discover the impact of standardized reading practices on the following subjects:
- Oral language development
- Print awareness
- Vocabulary development
- Text comprehension
The lessons in this chapter provide thorough information in a quick, manageable format. Read and work at your own pace and return to the lessons anytime via your account dashboard. Our professional subject-matter experts are also available anytime for additional help and support.
1. Understanding the Instruction of Reading Standards: Phonological & Phonemic Awareness
Early reading can be enhanced through the promotion of students development of phonological and phonemic awareness. This lesson looks at developmental appropriate, research and evidence based assessment as well as practices that promote phonological and phonemic awareness instruction.
2. Understanding the Instruction of Reading Standards: Phonics
The goal of phonics is to help children learn the alphabetic principle. This lesson will discuss developmentally appropriate, research- and evidence-based assessment and instructional practices that promote students' development of grade level skills for phonics according to the Science of Teaching Reading (STR) standards.
3. Understanding the Instruction of Reading Standards: Text Comprehension
Have you ever read through a page in a book or newspaper article only to find that you were not sure of what you just read? We will discuss developmentally appropriate, research based assessments and practices to help students develop key strategies and skills that promote reading comprehension.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the TExES Core Subjects EC-6 - English Language Arts and Reading & the Science of Teaching Reading (801): Practice & Study Guide course
- About the TExES Core Subjects EC-6 Exam
- Skills & Techniques for Children's Linguistic Development
- Teaching Speaking & Listening Skills to Children
- The Development of Phonological & Phonemic Awareness
- Teaching the Alphabet
- Print Awareness & Literacy Development
- Word Identification & Decoding Reading Strategies
- Developing Reading Fluency in Children
- Reading Comprehension Development & Instruction
- Creating Reading Strategies for Students
- Teaching Children's Literature
- Vocabulary Instruction & Assessment
- Research Skills & Critical Thinking for Elementary Students
- English Writing Conventions for Elementary School
- Writing Instruction & Development for Elementary School
- Assessing & Developing Writing Skills
- Parental Support in Developing Literacy Skills
- ELAR Instruction in Texas
- TExES Core Subjects EC-6: ELA & Reading Flashcards