About This Chapter
Understanding Absolute Value Expressions - Chapter Summary
Gain a comprehensive understanding of absolute value expressions by watching this chapter's fun videos. These lessons closely examine absolute value and explain ways to work with absolute value expressions and equations. Once you've completed this chapter, you will have the knowledge to:
- Define an absolute value
- Evaluate absolute value expressions
- Solve absolute value equations
- Complete absolute value practice problems
This chapter offers the flexibility you need when strapped with a busy schedule. Study the lessons whenever your schedule permits using any computer or mobile device with an Internet connection. Choose as few or as many of the lessons on absolute value expressions as you wish, and take their accompanying quizzes to test your comprehension. If you have questions about specific lesson topics, feel free to submit them to our experts.
1. What is an Absolute Value?
When we're talking and comparing numbers, we often don't care whether its positive or negative, just how big it is. This is often called the magnitude of a number and we find it by taking the absolute value. Learn all about it here!
2. How to Evaluate Absolute Value Expressions
Substituting values into absolute values doesn't have to be too hard, but it can be if you're given deceiving beginning information. See if you're up to it by checking out this video!
3. How to Solve an Absolute Value Equation
Once you get familiar with any new operation, the next step in any algebra class is to learn how to solve equations with that operation in them. Absolute values are no different. Solve absolute value equations here!
4. Solving Absolute Value Practice Problems
There are many easy mistakes to make when solving absolute value equations. Learn how to avoid those mistakes here by working on examples of absolute value equations with operations on the inside and the outside of the absolute value.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Pennsylvania Algebra I Keystone Exam: Test Prep & Practice course
- Real Numbers & Expressions
- Understanding Exponential Expressions
- Working with Radical Expressions
- Estimation & Math Problem-Solving
- Solving Problems with Polynomials
- Solving, Writing & Graphing Linear Equations
- Solving Problems with Systems of Equations
- Solving & Graphing Linear Inequalities
- Understanding Function Basics
- Using Scatter Plots
- Understanding Basic Statistics
- Interpreting & Graphing Data
- Understanding the Probability of Compound Events
- Pennsylvania Algebra I Keystone Exam Flashcards