About This Chapter
Understanding & Analyzing Literary & Narrative Texts - Chapter Summary
This chapter delves into the reading and teaching of literary and narrative texts. It examines genre history and what to take into account when interpreting literature while also defining relevant terms. By the time you finish going through these lessons, you'll have an improved and refreshed understanding of:
- Children's literature
- Figurative language
- Forms and examples of literary response and analysis
- Tone and mood
- Analyzing literary selections step-by-step
- Teaching literary interpretation and comprehension
The practice quizzes attached to every lesson provide a way for you to check your comprehension of the material topic-by-topic. These quizzes allow you to jump right back to the related part of the lesson if you answer a question incorrectly, and they can also be printed as worksheets if you'd like to take a break from the computer.
1. What is Children's Literature? - History, Themes & Examples
In this lesson, you will learn about children's literature, the only genre defined by its audience, through a discussion of its history and themes, while also taking at look at some representative examples.
2. Children's Literature Across Cultures & Time Periods
Stories written for children are connected to the historical and cultural traditions of people all over the world. In contemporary society, creating books for children and adolescents is a large and prosperous industry.
3. Literary Elements: Definition, Types & Examples
In this lesson, you'll learn the basic elements, or parts, of literary texts. We'll look at examples of each kind of literary element, and you can check your understanding with a brief quiz.
4. Interpreting Figurative Language in Fiction
In this lesson, we will discuss how to interpret figurative language in fiction. We will explore several types of figurative language and learn how to identify them.
5. Literary Response & Analysis Skills: Types & Examples
This lesson is all about understanding literary response and analysis skills. We will define important terms, as well as go over strategies used for analyzing literary and narrative texts.
6. Tone vs. Mood: Interpreting Meaning In Prose
In this lesson, learn the difference between the tone and the mood of a piece of prose. Explore examples of how tone and mood are conveyed by authors through word choice and telling details.
7. How to Analyze a Literary Passage: A Step-by-Step Guide
In this lesson, we will examine the steps involved in the basic analysis of literature. Then, using a well-known fable, we will go through each step of analysis: comprehension, interpreting and drawing conclusions.
8. Teaching Literary Analysis & Comprehension
Learning how to analyze and comprehend literary texts is one of the most advanced and exciting aspects of reading instruction. This lesson explores how to get students on the path toward deep comprehension.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the OSAT Elementary Education (CEOE) (050/051): Practice & Study Guide course
- Oral Language Development
- Literacy Development & Print Awareness
- Early Literacy Word Recognition and Spelling
- Late Stages Literacy Word Recognition & Spelling
- Fluency & Reading Development
- Vocabulary Knowledge & Skills
- Reading Comprehension Instruction
- Analyzing Informational & Expository Texts
- The Writing Process & Language
- Writing to a Specific Audience
- Elements of Literary Research
- Oral & Visual Communication
- Historical Concepts & Research Skills
- Government, Civics & Economics
- Fundamental Geography Concepts
- History Study Skills
- Oklahoma & U.S. Political History
- Global Political History
- Historical Analysis & Interpretation
- Number Sense, Numeration & Operations
- Algebraic Patterns, Equations & Functions
- Geometry & Properties of Shapes
- Measurement in Math
- Area, Perimeter, Surface Area & Volume
- Time, Proportions, Ratios, Rates, Velocity & Density
- Statistics & Charts
- Probability & Events
- Math & Problem Solving
- Mathematical Representation & Communication
- The Nature & History of Science
- Scientific Process & Inquiry
- Physical Science Fundamentals
- Earth, Space Science & Weather
- Types of Living Organisms
- Interactions Among Living Things
- Health & Fitness in Children
- Visual Arts Concepts
- Music, Drama, Theater & the Arts
- OSAT Elementary Education (CEOE) (050/051) Flashcards