About This Chapter
How it works:
- Identify which concepts are covered on your derivatives homework.
- Find videos on those topics within this chapter.
- Watch fun videos, pausing and reviewing as needed.
- Complete sample problems and get instant feedback.
- Finish your derivatives homework with ease!
Topics from your homework you'll be able to complete:
- Describe the linearization of functions
- Use linearization to estimate function values
- Explain Newton's method and use it to find roots of equations
- Compare differentiation and optimization
- Optimize complex and simple systems
1. Linearization of Functions
Over the river and through the woods to Grandmother's house we go ... Are we there yet? In this lesson, apply linearization to estimate when we will finally get to Grandma's house!
2. How to Estimate Function Values Using Linearization
Sometimes landing on Mars isn't that easy. You might need to use linearization to estimate if you will crash into the planet, or miss it entirely. Learn how to do just that in this lesson.
3. What is Newton's Method?
Hang gliding can be perilous, especially if you think you might land in a stinky pigpen. In this lesson, find out how Newton's Method might help you determine whether you'll be covered in mud when you land.
4. How to Use Newton's Method to Find Roots of Equations
Finding the roots of equations usually requires the use of a calculator. However, in this lesson you'll use Newton's Method to find the root of any equation, even when you can't solve for it explicitly.
5. Optimization and Differentiation
In this lesson, you can learn what optimization means from a mathematical standpoint. Using the techniques taught in this lesson, you can use the five steps to optimization to figure out practical things, like how much sleep you need to get before an exam.
6. Optimizing Simple Systems
Optimization problems may seem overwhelming, but they can actually be quite simple. In this lesson, learn how to use a handy five-step formula to tackle these daunting problems.
7. Optimizing Complex Systems
In this lesson, you'll learn how to follow a five-step process to solve complex optimization problems by visualizing, defining, writing an equation, finding the minimum or maximum, and answering the question.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Learning Calculus: Basics & Homework Help course
- Understanding the Basics of Functions
- Overview of Graphing & Functions
- Understanding Sequences & Series
- Overview of Continuity
- Understanding Exponentials & Logarithms
- Using Exponents and Polynomials
- Overview of Differential Equations
- Calculating the Area Under the Curve and Integrals
- Understanding Graphing Derivatives & L'Hopital's Rule
- Integrations in Calculus
- Basics of Geometry & Trigonometry