About This Chapter
Understanding Basics of Evolution - Chapter Summary
What is meant by the term 'evolutionary change'? What is genetic variation? How would you explain speciation? These are just a few of the topics you will explore when you refer to the lessons contained in this chapter.
You will also review facts about natural selection, evolutionary evidence and species extinction. After you complete your review of this chapter, you should be able to:
- Discuss evolutionary change
- Detail support for the theory of evolution
- Explain what cladograms and phylogenetic trees are used for
- Define and provide examples of natural selection and adaptation
- Describe genetic variation
- Provide examples of speciation
- Identify causes of species extinction
This chapter makes it simple to review this material with video lessons that you can access from any device, at all times. View the lessons as often as needed and use short contact forms to reach out to instructors with any lesson-specific questions. Determine what you have learned by taking self-assessment quizzes as you complete one lesson and go to the next.
1. Evolutionary Change: Definition and Forms
You've probably heard of Charles Darwin and evolution. We know that evolution is change over time, but here we will look at how these changes may have occurred during Earth's history.
2. Evidence for Evolution: Paleontology, Biogeography, Embryology, Comparative Anatomy & Molecular Biology
There is much support for the theory of evolution. This evidence comes from a variety of scientific fields and provides information that helps us trace changes in species over time. In this lesson, we'll look at this evidence and explore how it supports the theory of evolution.
3. Cladograms and Phylogenetic Trees: Evolution Classifications
Family trees help show how people are related to each other. Similarly, scientists use cladograms and phylogenetic trees to study the relationships between organisms.
4. Natural Selection & Adaptation: Definition, Theory & Examples
How does natural selection help shape the amazing types of animals we witness around us? In this lesson, we'll explore adaptations and what they can tell us about a species' past evolution.
5. What Is Genetic Variation? - Sources, Definition & Types
Natural selection is the process that drives evolution, but what drives natural selection? Genetic variation increases the genetic diversity in and among populations, allowing for new traits to become more or less prominent in the gene pool.
6. Speciation: Definition, Examples & Role in Evolution
Can you believe that over two million species have been identified on Earth? Have you ever wondered how so many species formed on Earth? Learn more about how new species form and test your knowledge with a quiz.
7. The Causes of Species Extinction
What do dinosaurs, passenger pigeons, and a species of Australian rat all have in common? They have all gone extinct. This lesson will examine the causes of species extinction from mass extinctions in the past to human-caused extinctions today.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the CSET Science Subtest I - General Science (215): Practice & Study Guide course
- Performing Scientific Investigations
- Analysis & Conclusions in Scientific Investigations
- Math Concepts & Scientific Data Analysis
- Engineering Practices, Design & Applications
- Crosscutting Concepts in Science & Engineering
- Understanding Atoms, Elements & the Periodic Table
- Overview of Nuclear Energy
- Overview of Matter
- Chemical Reactions & Biochemistry
- Overview of Newton's Laws of Motion
- Pressure, Fluid Flow & Buoyancy
- Understanding Types of Force
- Graphs of Motion
- Understanding Waves
- Types of Energy & Energy Transfers
- Electricity & Magnetism Fundamentals
- Understanding Cell Structure & Functions
- Overview of Plant Biology
- Energy Transfer in Organisms
- Understanding Basics of Ecology
- Overview of Genetics & DNA
- Understanding Principles of Heredity
- Formation of the Universe
- Overview of Astronomy
- Earth's Materials, Systems & Surface Processes
- Overview of Plate Tectonics
- Basics of Weather & Climate
- Energy Transfer & Climate Change
- Natural Resources & Hazards
- CSET General Science Subtest 1 Flashcards
- CSET General Science Subtest 2 Flashcards