About This Chapter
Understanding Biodiversity - Chapter Summary
Expert instructors have developed fun lessons that make it easy to understand biodiversity. Review these lessons whenever and wherever your schedule permits to study concepts that include conservation biology, taxonomy and bioprospecting. In no time, you will be ready to:
- Define binomial nomenclature and discuss its system and classification
- Discuss taxonomy and how living things are named
- Share the meaning of biodiversity and explain how it relates to ecosystem stability
- Describe the principles of conservation biology
- Provide a description of bioprospecting
Access the lessons in this chapter anytime using any computer, tablet or smartphone with an Internet connection to ensure your study of biodiversity suits your unique schedule. When ready, assess your comprehension of lesson concepts by taking multiple-choice quizzes. Clarify any details you don't fully understand by sending your questions to our experts. A practice exam is available to assess your comprehension of all lessons in this chapter.
1. Binomial Nomenclature: Definition, Classification & System
Life on Earth is incredibly diverse, with over one million species. But have you ever wondered how all these organisms are named? In this lesson, you'll learn about the scientific naming system called binomial nomenclature.
2. Taxonomy: Classification and Naming of Living Things
The name you give to a living thing may be completely different than the name someone else uses. In science, we use a common naming system for all living things to avoid confusion. This lesson will explore the basics of our classification system.
3. What is Biodiversity? - Definition and Relation to Ecosystem Stability
Imagine making a list of all of the species you have ever heard of; it would be an enormous list! There are many different species on this planet. This lesson will explore the diversity of species, as well as the different types of diversity and how diversity of life is essential for maintaining healthy ecosystems.
4. What Is Conservation Biology? - Definition & Principles
Conservation biology aims to reduce the human impact on the environment by looking for the causes and possible solutions to these problems. In this lesson, you'll learn about conservation biology and the different types of conservation.
5. What is Bioprospecting? - Definition & Examples
This lesson defines the concept of bioprospecting. We'll also explore numerous examples of how it has helped us in the development of very important drugs and other products derived from nature.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the VCE Biology: Exam Prep & Study Guide course
- Developing a Scientific Investigation
- Ethical Considerations in Scientific Investigations
- Collecting Scientific Data
- Processing Experimental Results
- Communicating Scientific Ideas
- Cell Size, Structure & Function
- The Cell Membrane
- Stages of the Cell Cycle
- Cell Growth & Differentiation
- Energy Transformations in Living Things
- Functioning Systems of Living Things
- Adaptation & Regulation in Living Things
- Ecosystem Relationships & Populations
- Asexual & Sexual Reproduction
- Genomes, Genes & Alleles
- Chromosomes & Chromosome Disorders
- Genotypes & Phenotypes
- Pedigrees & Genetic Inheritence
- Cellular Membranes & Structures
- Nucleic Acids & Proteins
- Gene Structure & Regulation
- Understanding Enzymes
- Photosynthesis Overview
- Cellular Respiration Overview
- Cellular Signals
- Antigens & Immune Response
- Immunity & the Immune System
- Genetics & Populations
- Biodiversity Over Time
- Relatedness Between Species
- Human Evolution
- DNA Manipulation
- Biological Knowledge & Society
- VCE Biology Flashcards