About This Chapter
Understanding Blood-Borne Bacterial Diseases - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, you'll review basic information about blood-borne bacterial diseases. Our expert instructors show you everything you need to know about the causes/symptoms of lyme disease, tularemia, spotted fevers, typhus fevers, the plague, toxic shock syndrome and much more. We've included short quizzes after each lesson to help you commit important disease terms to memory. Take the chapter exam and submit questions to our instructors if you have any. The chapter material is accessible on any device that has an Internet connection, which helps you study at home, at work, at school or wherever you happen to be. When you're finished with the chapter, you should be able to:
- Understand Borrelia burgdorferi and Borrelia afzelii infections
- Identify infections that are caused by Francisella tularensis
- Recognize spotted fever symptoms
- Compare types of rickettsia and typhus fevers
- Determine what causes Q fever
- Understand what caused the bubonic and pneumonic plague
- Evaluate the symptoms, diagnosis and treatments for the plague
- Assess the causes and symptoms of toxic shock syndrome
1. Lyme Disease: Infections of Borrelia burgdorferi and Borrelia afzelii
In this lesson, you will learn about a disease with great notoriety in the eastern United States, Lyme disease. Learn about what causes this disease, the epidemiology, and prevention.
2. Tularemia: Infections Caused by Francisella tularensis
Unless you breed rabbits or are a World War II history buff, you have probably never heard of the bacteria Francisella tularensis. In this lesson, we will discuss this species, and the illness it can cause in humans called tularemia.
3. Spotted Fevers: Symptoms of Rickettsia Infections
You can catch a lot of diseases through tick bites. In this lesson, we will look at one class of tick-borne disease, spotted fevers, caused by bacteria in the genus Rickettsia.
4. Typhus Fevers and Rickettsia
Typhus fever is arguably the most historically important disease you've never heard of. In this lesson, I will attempt to shed some light on this deadly disease and provide some basics on the bacterium that causes it: Rickettsia.
5. Q Fever: Infection Caused by Coxiella burnetii
Have you ever heard of Q fever? If you're interested in witnessing the miracle of birth, you might want to educate yourself on the bacteria, Coxiella burnetii, the causative agent of Q fever.
6. Bubonic & Pneumonic Plague: Disease Caused by Yersinia pestis
Most students learn about plague in history class due its huge impact on human history. In this, the first of two lessons on plague, we will look at the disease from a microbiological perspective, focusing on the causative agent: Yersinia pestis.
7. Plague: Symptoms, Diagnosis & Treatment
In this lesson, we will examine plague, more widely known as Black Death, including the three major types of plague, the most common symptoms, diagnosis, and treatment.
8. Toxic Shock Syndrome: Symptoms & Causes
I'm sure most women have heard of toxic shock syndrome. But do you know what actually causes it? In this lesson we will explore the bacterial cause and common symptoms of this potentially serious illness.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the UExcel Microbiology: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Early History of Microbiology
- Fundamentals of Microbiology
- Microbiology Laboratory Procedures
- Understanding Genetics & DNA
- Understanding Metabolism
- Bacterial Biology
- Understanding Diseases
- Protozoan Diseases
- Understanding Viruses
- Overview of DNA Viruses
- Overview of RNA Viruses
- Overview of Fungal Infections
- Illnesses & Infections of the GI Tract
- Overview of Bacterial STDs
- Respiratory Bacterial Infections
- Bacterial Skin and Wound Infections
- Immunology Basics
- Structure & Function of the Immune System
- Overview of Antigens
- Disorders of the Immune System
- Serological & Diagnostic Reactions
- Antimicrobial Drugs Overview
- Sterilization & Antiseptic Methods
- Chemical Methods of Microbial Control
- Effectiveness of Antiseptics & Disinfectants
- Microbiology & the Environment
- Food & Industrial Microbiology Overview
- UExcel Microbiology Flashcards