About This Chapter
Understanding Cancer Risks & Treatment - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, you'll explore ways to screen for, prevent and treat cancer and gain insight into the risk factors that play a part in the development of various types of cancer. The lessons take about five minutes to complete, and you can gauge what you've learned by using self-assessment quizzes found at the end of each lesson. Once you have finished this chapter, you should have the ability to:
- Define neoplasia
- Explain the characteristics of benign and malignant tumors
- Describe strategies for preventing and treating cancer
- Identify various risk factors associated with cancer
- Discuss genetic predispositions in cancer development
1. What is Neoplasia? - Definition, Types & Examples
This lesson will discuss the concept of neoplasia. We'll specifically talk about the differences between benign tumors, carcinoma in situ, and malignant tumors. This lesson will also define metastasis and oncology and show examples of different types of malignant and benign tumors.
2. Benign vs. Malignant: Definition, Characteristics & Differences
This lesson will talk about the common distinctions between malignant and benign tumors. We'll discuss how they may look or feel and how it is that they may look differently under the microscope as well.
3. Risk Factors, Screening, Treatment, and Prevention of Cancer
Cancer prevention, screening, and treatment are three important steps in helping to beat back this devastating condition. We will discuss them, as well as the common risk factors for cancer, in this lesson.
4. Cancer Syndromes & Genetic Risk Factors for Cancer
This lesson describes something called cancer syndrome or family cancer syndrome, as well as the important clues that can help it be detected and two examples of such a condition.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Health 101: Principles of Health course
- Health and Wellness Fundamentals
- Psychosocial Disorders & Mental Health
- Stress Risks & Disorders
- Drugs & Addictive Behavior
- Impact of Alcohol & Tobacco on Health
- Substance Use Risks & Disorders
- Healthy Platonic & Sexual Relationships
- Understanding Nutrition in Health
- Fitness & Weight in Personal Health
- Personal Health for Aging Populations
- Understanding Death & Bereavement
- Heart, Lung & Endocrine System Health
- Immune Disorders & Infections
- Understanding Diabetes & Genetic Disorders
- Environmental Health Basics
- Pollution & Environmental Issues
- Violence, Injury & Personal Safety
- Making Smart Health Care Choices
- Studying for Health 101