About This Chapter
Understanding Computer Files - Chapter Summary
This self-paced chapter helps you improve your basic understanding of computer files. Through a series of bite-sized lessons, you'll break down the foundations of computer file usage, as well as different file types, systems and extensions. You'll be able to reinforce your understanding of these concepts by taking the accompanying self-assessment quizzes. The chapter is available to study whenever you need it, and our instructors are happy to answer any questions you may have about computer files. When you're finished with the chapter, you should be able to:
- Describe access, formats and sharing of computer files
- Compare FAT, NTFS and HFS+ file systems
- Recognize different file types and extensions, such as GIFs, MP3s, EXEs and JPGs
1. Computer Files: Access, Formats & Sharing
In this lesson, you will learn how to access files locally and remotely through cloud storage, NAS devices and VPNs, and how to share files with colleagues, students, friends, and family members.
2. File Systems: FAT, NTFS, and HFS+
Computers use file systems to control how information is stored and retrieved. Each file system has its own structure and logic. Learn about the different types of file systems for different operating systems in this lesson.
3. File Extensions and File Types: MP3, GIF, JPG, DOCX, XLSX, EXE, & More
File extensions are used to indicate the format of files so operating systems know what to do with them. Learn why there are so many different file extensions. Also learn about some of the most widely used file extensions.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Computer Science 103: Computer Concepts & Applications course
- Basic Computer Concepts
- Computer Hardware Components & Functions
- Application & System Software
- Operating Systems for Computers
- Telecommunications Systems
- Troubleshooting Computer Issues
- Web Browsers & Technology
- Using Microsoft Word
- Using Microsoft Excel
- Using Microsoft PowerPoint
- Database Fundamentals
- Computer Programming Fundamentals
- Systems Development & Analysis
- Computer Threats & Security
- Technology's Ethical, Legal & Privacy Issues