About This Chapter
Understanding Coordinate Graphs - Chapter Summary
Our subject-matter experts present information on understanding coordinate graphs in this chapter. Material discussed includes the different parts of a graph, the rate of change determination of a function, and other lesson topics, like:
- The graphing of functions by point plotting
- Function property comparison through the use of graphs
- Determination and application of the slope of a line
- Work up of a linear relationship between two quantities
- Real-world use of tables and graphs
These lessons were kept short to make it easy to experience continuous progress. Log in using any mobile device and take a lesson or two within a few minutes. Progress is tracked on the dashboard that is provided.
1. What Are the Different Parts of a Graph?
Being able to read a graph isn't just vital for an algebra class. Graphs and charts are used everywhere! We'll take a crash course on the basic x/y plane used in algebra and the fundamental vocab you need.
2. Graph Functions by Plotting Points
Let's say you have a function. What does it look like? How do you graph it? In this lesson, we'll learn how to graph functions by determining and plotting points.
3. Compare Properties of Functions Graphically
In this lesson, we will cover the characteristics of graphs of functions. We will employ the vertical line test and understand why some graphs do not qualify as functions.
4. How to Find and Apply The Slope of a Line
In this lesson, we'll discover all about the slopes of lines. We'll learn about different types of slopes and how to find the slopes of lines. We'll use two methods: the slope formula and the slope-intercept form.
5. How to Find and Apply the Intercepts of a Line
How can you take an equation of a line and find out where it will cross the x- or y-axis? In this lesson, we'll define x-intercepts and y-intercepts and learn how to find them.
6. Model a Linear Relationship Between Two Quantities
In this lesson, we will learn about modeling linear relationships by converting domain and range values into ordered pairs and then constructing a graph.
7. Determine the Rate of Change of a Function
In this lesson, we will learn about the rate of change of a function with specific focus on linear and exponential functions while examining the graphs of both types of functions.
8. Using Tables and Graphs in the Real World
We use tables and graphs in algebra as ways to visually show an equation or function. But do we really use these in the real world? Is it that important to learn about tables and graphs? Find out in this video lesson.
9. Scatterplots and Line Graphs: Definitions and Uses
After watching this video, you will be able to understand scatter plots and line graphs. You will also be able to use them to tell people a story about what you see and observe. You will also be able to read them.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the STAAR Algebra I: Test Prep & Practice course
- Working with Polynomials
- Arithmetic & Geometric Sequences
- Understanding Square Roots
- Exponential Expression Math
- Basics of Solving Word Problems
- Understanding Linear Equations
- The Basics of Functions
- Graphing Linear Functions & Equations
- Exponential Functions
- Calculating & Graphing Inequalities
- Algebraic Distribution
- Overview of Algebraic Expressions
- Overview of Algebraic Equations
- Solving Quadratic Equations
- Using a Graphing Calculator
- About the STARR Tests
- STAAR Algebra I Flashcards