About This Chapter
Understanding Death & Bereavement - Chapter Summary
Gain insight into ways to deal with death and dying and learn how to plan for and accept the passing of loved ones. This chapter provides a review of everything from the stages of death to end-of-life issues that may need to be handled. Watch a short video, take a self-assessment quiz and even contact the instructor if you have any questions. By the time you complete this lesson, you will have a better understanding of:
- What Kubler-Ross's five stages of dying are
- What the stages of acceptance are for impending death
- The debate surrounding euthanasia
- Legal issues associated with dying, such as organ donation and living wills
1. What Are the Stages of Dying? - Overview of Kubler-Ross's 5 Stages
Death, dying and the emotional responses one feels toward these topics are particularly challenging issues to address. Psychiatrist Dr. Elisabeth Kubler-Ross proposed stages of emotional responses to death and dying. This lesson will present those five stages and also discuss common criticisms of Kubler-Ross's theory.
2. Death and Dying: Euthanasia Debate and Stages of Acceptance
The end of one's life can be a difficult time, for both the person dying and their loved ones. In this lesson, we'll explore some end-of-life issues that people face, including the five stages of grief and the controversy surrounding euthanasia.
3. Major End-of-Life Issues: Health Care Legal Planning
As people approach the end of their lives, decisions have to be made. Watch this lesson to find out more about important end-of-life issues, including having a health care proxy, creating a living will, and being an organ donor.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Health 101: Principles of Health course
- Health and Wellness Fundamentals
- Psychosocial Disorders & Mental Health
- Stress Risks & Disorders
- Drugs & Addictive Behavior
- Impact of Alcohol & Tobacco on Health
- Substance Use Risks & Disorders
- Healthy Platonic & Sexual Relationships
- Understanding Nutrition in Health
- Fitness & Weight in Personal Health
- Personal Health for Aging Populations
- Heart, Lung & Endocrine System Health
- Understanding Cancer Risks & Treatment
- Immune Disorders & Infections
- Understanding Diabetes & Genetic Disorders
- Environmental Health Basics
- Pollution & Environmental Issues
- Violence, Injury & Personal Safety
- Making Smart Health Care Choices
- Studying for Health 101