About This Chapter
Understanding Defects & Disorders of the Heart - Chapter Summary
This short but extensive chapter covers everything from arrhythmia to valvular dysfunctions. Both congenital and acquired defects and disorders are addressed, with lessons offering key term definitions, examples and illustrations to ensure your full understanding of these topics.
In this chapter, you will find lessons focusing on specific conditions such as septal defects and inflammatory disorders. After you complete your review of this chapter, you should be able to do the following:
- Explain what arrhythmia is and how it is detected
- Define dysrhythmia and describe its symptoms
- Differentiate between congenital and acquired heart defects
- Name the types of septal defects of the heart
- Understand the causes and treatment of Tetralogy of Fallot
- List inflammatory disorders of the heart
- Describe problems that affect the valves of the heart
Access these video and text lessons 24/7 from any device or choose to print lesson transcripts to produce handy study materials. Lessons take only minutes to review and are presented by expert instructors who guide you easily through each topic. Self-assessment quizzes allows you to determine if you are ready to move on to the next lesson or need to further review any of the material before progressing through the chapter.
1. Arrhythmia of the Heart: Terms, Definition & ECG Detection
An electrocardiogram, or ECG, can be used to detect irregular heartbeats or arrhythmias. In this lesson, you will learn about arrhythmias detected by ECG, including bradycardia, tachycardia, fibrillation, and heart block.
2. What Is Dysrhythmia? - Definition, Symptoms & Treatment
What is a dysrhythmia vs. an arrhythmia? What are the signs and symptoms of cardiac dysrhythmias? How can we treat the various types? This lesson answers all of these questions.
3. Congenital vs. Acquired Heart Defects
Not all heart disease is the same. Some people are born with defects, while others develop diseases later in life. In this lesson we'll look at both types of heart disease, called congenital and acquired heart diseases.
4. Septal Defects of the Heart: Definition, Conditions, and Symptoms
We will mainly take a look at something known as an atrial septal defect and a ventricular septal defect, why they may occur, where they occur, and what they result in, in terms of cardiopulmonary physiology.
5. Tetralogy of Fallot: Definition, Causes and Treatment
This lesson will go over a congenital problem known as Tetralogy of Fallot, the four major components that are involved, and how they act together to cause quite a few problems.
6. Inflammatory Disorders of the Heart
This lesson will discuss inflammatory disorders of the heart, including pericarditis and endocarditis, as well as what they may cause and what significant things may occur during testing.
7. Valvular Dysfunctions: Types, Signs & Treatment Options
This lesson will quickly go over four heart valves, their location, what can go wrong with them, and then two detailed examples of how their dysfunction affects the body.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AACN CCRN (Adult) Certification: Exam Review & Study Guide course
- Patient Assessment & Diagnostics
- Medication Management for Nursing
- Nursing Procedures & Emergency Response
- Acute Coronary Syndromes & Cardiovascular Emergencies
- Aneurysms & Cardiovascular Diseases
- Understanding Heart Disease & Failure
- Cardiovascular Nursing Actions
- Acute Respiratory Conditions
- Chronic Respiratory Conditions
- Thoracic Injury & Trauma
- Overview of Pulmonary Nursing Actions
- Pulmonary Nursing Actions & Tools for Pulmonary Procedures
- Understanding Endocrine Disorders
- Hematology & Immunology Disorders
- Hematology & Immunology Nursing Actions
- Understanding Gastrointestinal Disorders
- Gastrointestinal Nursing Actions
- Understanding Renal Disorders
- Nursing Actions for Renal Problems
- Understanding Integumentary Disorders
- Integumentary Nursing Actions
- Musculoskeletal Disorders & Nursing Actions
- Understanding Neurological Disorders
- Understanding Traumatic Brain Injuries
- Neurological Nursing Actions
- Understanding Behavioral & Psychosocial Disorders for Nurses
- Behavioral & Psychological Nursing Actions
- Multisystem Clinical Judgments in Nursing
- Understanding Sepsis & Shock
- Healthcare-Associated Infections
- Sedation Nursing Actions
- Professional Care & Ethical Practices in Nursing