About This Chapter
How it works:
- Identify which concepts are covered on your earthquakes homework.
- Find videos on those topics within this chapter.
- Watch fun videos, pausing and reviewing as needed.
- Complete sample problems and get instant feedback.
- Finish your earthquakes homework with ease!
Topics from your homework you'll be able to complete:
- Components of an earthquake
- Earthquake causes
- Uses of seismic activity
- Aftershocks and foreshocks
- The Richter scale
- Earthquake destruction
1. What is an Earthquake? - Definition and Components
Earthquakes are well known for the damage and destruction they leave behind. But what is an earthquake? In this video lesson you will learn about what causes earthquakes and the various components involved in these powerful natural disasters.
2. The Causes of Earthquakes
In this video lesson you will learn what causes earthquakes and where they occur. You will also understand the theory of elastic rebound, and how this relates to movement of the earth's crust.
3. Identifying and Understanding Earthquakes Using Seismic Activity
Scientists can learn a lot about earthquakes by studying how they move ground. Using seismic activity, we can learn where an earthquake originated as well as how strong it was. In this video lesson, you will learn about seismic activity and how it relates to our understanding of earthquakes.
4. Aftershocks & Foreshocks of an Earthquake
An earthquake is not an isolated event of ground shaking. Foreshocks and aftershocks occur with most earthquakes, and in this video lesson you will learn about them and how they are part of the overall process.
5. Using the Richter Scale to Measure Earthquakes
In this video lesson, you will learn about earthquake magnitude and how it is measured. You will also learn how that relates to the amount of energy released during an earthquake, as well as how common different magnitude earthquakes are around the world.
6. Destruction Caused by Earthquakes
Earthquakes are well-known for their damage and destruction, and in this video lesson you will learn about the different types of damage that these dangerous natural disasters can cause.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Middle School Earth Science: Homework Help Resource course
- Earth's Spheres & Structure: Homework Help Resource
- Understanding Plate Tectonics: Homework Help
- Understanding Volcanoes: Homework Help
- Rock Deformation & Mountain Building: Homework Help
- Shaping the Earth's Surface: Homework Help Resource
- Thermal Energy: Homework Help
- Energy in the Earth System: Homework Help Resource
- Ecology & Ecosystems: Homework Help
- Earth's Energy Resources: Homework Help
- Earth's Material Resources: Homework Help
- Earth Science Investigation & Experimentation: Homework Help Resource