About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other middle school earth science work.
- Identify the earthquake concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our Middle School Earth Science Tutoring Solution will benefit any student who is trying to understand earthquakes and earn better grades. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding the causes of earthquakes, how seismic activity and the Richter scale are used or any other earthquake topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their science learning
- Prefer learning science visually
- Find themselves failing or close to failing their earthquakes unit
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in middle school earth science
- Don't have access to their science teacher outside of class
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning about earthquakes simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live earth science tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn about earthquakes on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Study the definition and components of an earthquake.
- Examine the causes of earthquakes.
- Learn to identify and understand earthquakes using seismic activity.
- Examine earthquake aftershocks and foreshocks.
- Understand how to use the Richter scale to measure earthquakes.
- Discover destruction caused by earthquakes.
1. What is an Earthquake? - Definition and Components
Earthquakes are well known for the damage and destruction they leave behind. But what is an earthquake? In this video lesson you will learn about what causes earthquakes and the various components involved in these powerful natural disasters.
2. The Causes of Earthquakes
In this video lesson you will learn what causes earthquakes and where they occur. You will also understand the theory of elastic rebound, and how this relates to movement of the earth's crust.
3. Identifying and Understanding Earthquakes Using Seismic Activity
Scientists can learn a lot about earthquakes by studying how they move ground. Using seismic activity, we can learn where an earthquake originated as well as how strong it was. In this video lesson, you will learn about seismic activity and how it relates to our understanding of earthquakes.
4. Aftershocks & Foreshocks of an Earthquake
An earthquake is not an isolated event of ground shaking. Foreshocks and aftershocks occur with most earthquakes, and in this video lesson you will learn about them and how they are part of the overall process.
5. Using the Richter Scale to Measure Earthquakes
In this video lesson, you will learn about earthquake magnitude and how it is measured. You will also learn how that relates to the amount of energy released during an earthquake, as well as how common different magnitude earthquakes are around the world.
6. Destruction Caused by Earthquakes
Earthquakes are well-known for their damage and destruction, and in this video lesson you will learn about the different types of damage that these dangerous natural disasters can cause.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Middle School Earth Science: Tutoring Solution course
- Earth's Spheres & Structure: Tutoring Solution
- Understanding Plate Tectonics: Tutoring Solution
- Understanding Volcanoes: Tutoring Solution
- Rock Deformation & Mountain Building: Tutoring Solution
- Shaping the Earth's Surface: Tutoring Solution
- Thermal Energy: Tutoring Solution
- Energy in the Earth System: Tutoring Solution
- Ecology & Ecosystems: Tutoring Solution
- Earth's Energy Resources: Tutoring Solution
- Earth's Material Resources: Tutoring Solution
- Earth Science Investigation & Experimentation: Tutoring Solution