About This Chapter
Understanding Earth's Atmosphere, Climate & Weather - Chapter Summary
Feel confident in your understanding of weather variables, precipitation, tornadoes, hurricanes, the ozone layer and much more by exploring this chapter's entertaining lessons. Developed by top instructors, these lessons make it easy to gain full comprehension of Earth's atmosphere, climate and weather. After completing this chapter, you will be ready to:
- List and describe major components of the atmosphere
- Discuss natural factors that determine the climate of a region
- Exhibit knowledge of the global wind patterns of the three wind belts
- Identify types of air masses and weather fronts and describe the impact they have on weather
- Describe the formation of thunderstorms
- Explain the causes and effects of cyclones
- Outline causes of floods and explain how to prevent them
This chapter's flexible format gives you the freedom to choose lessons you want to study and visit as often as you'd like. Take advantage of around-the-clock access that ensures you're able to study during the timeframes that suit your schedule. If you develop questions while studying the lessons, visit our Dashboard to submit them to our subject-matter experts with ease. When you're ready, find out how well you understand Earth's atmosphere, climate and weather by taking our multiple-choice quizzes and practice exam.
1. Major Components of the Atmosphere
Our atmosphere is a complex mixture of many different gases. In this video lesson you will identify the major components of Earth's atmosphere as well as how much there is of each.
2. Weather Variables: Air Pressure, Temperature & Density
Weather is influenced by a number of factors. In this lesson, you will learn about three key variables that control weather and how they work together to do so.
3. The Ozone Layer: Importance and the Harmful Effects of Thinning
In this lesson, you will learn the importance of the ozone layer and how it is depleted. You will also study the research and policy that has been instrumental in its recovery.
4. What is Precipitation? - Definition, Types & Formation
Precipitation comes in many forms, but it all comes from the same general process. In this video lesson you will identify different types of precipitation, as well as how precipitation forms in the atmosphere from condensation.
5. Natural Factors That Determine a Region's Climate
Climate is influenced by factors like atmosphere, ocean currents, landforms and plate tectonics. This lesson explains how these effects affect our weather patterns, which determine climate.
6. The Global Wind Patterns of the Three Wind Belts
You are familiar with wind, but did you know there are different wind belts depending on where you are on the earth? This lesson will examine the three main wind belts: polar easterlies, tropical easterlies and prevailing westerlies.
7. Types of Air Masses & Their Effect on Weather
Air masses affect weather in a number of different ways. In this lesson, you will learn about the different types of air masses found on Earth and how the movement of air masses creates changes in the weather.
8. Understanding Weather Fronts: Types & Their Effect on Weather
In this video lesson you will learn about how air masses with different characteristics create weather fronts. You will also identify the different types of fronts, as well as what type of weather occurs along them.
9. What Are Tornadoes? - Definition, Causes & The Enhanced Fujita Scale
Tornadoes are dangerous storms that affect millions of people. In this video lesson, you will learn how and where they form, as well as how scientists classify tornadoes using the Enhanced Fujita Scale.
10. What Are Thunderstorms? - Definition, Types & Formation
Thunderstorms are common all over the world. In this video lesson, you will learn what they are, how they form and how they create thunder and lightning.
11. What Are Cyclones? - Types, Causes & Effects
The word cyclone refers to many different types of storms. In this video lesson you will learn about how cyclones form, what makes each type different, and what their effects are on both people and the environment.
12. Hurricanes: Types, Formation, Causes & Effects
Hurricanes are dangerous storms that affect millions of people each year. But what are hurricanes and how do they form? In this video lesson you'll learn about where and how hurricanes develop as well as the types of hurricanes that are possible.
13. What Are Floods? - Causes, Types & Prevention
In this video lesson, you will study floods, their causes and their effects. You will learn to identify various methods that are used to prevent floods and explore how preventing natural flood cycles can lead to dangerous flood events.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the CSET Science Subtest II Earth and Space Sciences (219): Test Prep & Study Guide course
- Understanding Stars, Solar Systems & Galaxies
- Celestial Bodies of Our Solar System
- Astronomical Laws & Measurements
- Understanding Earth's Formation & Development
- Rocks & Minerals
- Overview of Earth's Systems
- Tectonic Plates, Volcanoes & Earthquakes
- Understanding Water's Role on Earth
- Understanding Human Impact on Earth & Global Climate Change
- California's Natural Resources & Hazards
- CSET Science Subtest 2 Earth & Space Sciences Flashcards