About This Chapter
Understanding Elements & the Periodic Table - Chapter Summary
If you need a refresher about the elements on the periodic table, or if you need to learn this information from the ground up, our extensive chapter is here as your go-to guide. Our instructors have separated this chapter into shorter lessons, and they have done so in a way that mimics the separation of the individual groups and periods found on the periodic table. Start off with learning about the miniscule size of atoms, and go all the way through the lessons until you reach the one that examines the inert elements of group 8A. At the end of the chapter, you will have gained the knowledge to do the following:
- Show the properties of each period and group on the periodic table
- Point out the trends for ionization energy, electronegativity, and ionic and atomic radii
- Differentiate between the properties of the S-block, P-block, and F-block elements
- Establish the electron configurations for the D-block elements
- Outline and explain Werner's Theory
- Evaluate the applications of the Crystal Field Theory in chemistry
- Figure out the distinguishing properties of group 5A elements
- Describe the characteristics of chalcogens, halogens, and the noble gases
While many of the lessons we offer are in video form, we also make sure that every video lesson has a corresponding lesson transcript. Some people like to watch the video lessons and then read through the transcripts afterwards, since it reinforces the information. Before you take a major exam, it may be helpful to skim through the lesson transcripts to get reacquainted with the keywords, definitions, and formulas.
1. The Periodic Table: Properties of Groups and Periods
How is the periodic table like the map you used on your last road trip? In this lesson, you will be introduced to the periodic table, the road map of chemists. We will discuss how the elements are organized and how you can use this organization to identify some of their major physical properties.
2. Atomic and Ionic Radii: Trends Among Groups and Periods of the Periodic Table
Atoms are VERY tiny. How do we measure their size? This lesson will explain how the size of an atom is measured and teach you how to predict the relative size of an atom based on where it is located on the periodic table.
3. Electronegativity: Trends Among Groups and Periods of the Periodic Table
How is fluorine like a child that doesn't share his or her toys? Find out in this video on electronegativity where we will discuss group and periodic trends among the elements.
4. Ionization Energy: Trends Among Groups and Periods of the Periodic Table
Do you know someone who has undergone radiation as a form of cancer treatment? Have you ever thought about why X-rays have health risks? Watch the video to find out what these types of radiation are really doing to atoms, define ionization energy and identify ionization trends on the periodic table.
5. Electron Configurations in the s, p & d Orbitals
Getting confused by long lists that start with 1s and seem to go on forever? Don't worry, this lesson on electron configuration will help you understand how to describe electron placement in no time.
6. S-Block Elements on the Periodic Table: Properties & Overview
Take a tour of the s-block of the periodic table and get to know the elements inside. Learn all about the s-block elements, including some of their distinguishing properties, then quiz yourself on your knowledge.
7. P-Block Elements on the Periodic Table: Properties & Overview
Come on a tour of the p-block, an area on the periodic table filled with an incredibly diverse group of elements. Learn what the p-block elements are, discover some of their properties, and then assess your new knowledge with a quiz.
8. D-Block Elements: Properties & Electron Configuration
In this lesson, we'll explore the d-block elements, which are the transitional elements situated in the center of the periodic table of elements. Read on to learn about this block of elements as well as how they behave.
9. F-Block Elements on the Periodic Table: Properties & Overview
The periodic table is a highly organized collection of the basic characteristics for all elements known to man. The atomic structure and characteristics of f-block elements are somewhat mysterious. Here's why.
10. Group 5A Elements: Definition & Properties
The group 5A elements aren't as recognizable as other elements on the periodic table, but they are important nonetheless. This lesson will examine properties they share and will give some examples of why this group is so important.
11. Chalcogens (Group 6A Elements): Definition & Properties
Some can kill you, some are useful, and one is vital to your survival. Welcome to the chalcogens! This lesson will list common properties, and will then share some uses and characteristics of these diverse Group 6A elements.
12. Halogens (Group 7A Elements): Definition & Properties
The halogens are a group of non-metals that share several properties. This lesson will examine these properties and will also look at the many uses of these group 7A elements.
13. Noble Gases (Group 8A Elements): Definition & Properties
The noble gases are an inert group of elements with some fun and fascinating uses. This lesson will explore the properties that the noble gases share and will look at some of their uses.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AP EAMCET AM (Agriculture & Medical): Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Diversity in the Living World
- Plant Structures & Systems
- Overview of Plant Physiology
- Understanding Plant Reproduction
- Understanding Plant Ecology
- Understanding Plant Genetics
- Cell Structure, Function & Division
- Understanding Microbiology
- Basics of Genetics
- Biotechnology Overview
- Zoology Overview
- Structural Organization of Animals
- Types of Animals
- Protozoa Basics
- Biology & Human Welfare
- Type Study of Periplaneta Americana
- Ecology & the Environment
- Human Digestion, Respiration, Circulation & Excretion Systems
- Human Muscular, Skeletal & Nervous Systems
- Human Endocrine & Immune Systems
- Understanding Human Reproduction
- Understanding Genetics & Heredity
- Organic Evolution
- Understanding the Basics of Physics
- Units & Measurement in Physics
- Understanding Motion in Physics
- Systems of Particles & Rotational Motion
- Work, Energy & Power Overview
- Overview of Oscillations
- Overview of Gravitation
- Properties of Solids, Fluids & Gases
- Thermal Properties of Matter
- Rays, Waves & Wave Optics
- Understanding Electricity
- Magnetic Force & Electromagnetism
- Currents, Waves & Circuits
- Communication Systems
- Atoms & Nuclei
- Atomic Structure Overview
- Chemical Bonding & Molecular Structure
- States of Matter in Chemistry
- Basic Stoichiometry
- Thermodynamics & Chemistry
- Chemical Equilibrium & Acid-Bases
- Hydrogen & Hydrogen Compounds
- Alkali & Alkaline Earth Metals
- Environmental Chemistry
- Understanding Organic Chemistry
- Solids in Chemistry
- Electrochemistry & Chemical Kinetics
- Surface Chemistry
- Metallurgy Overview
- Polymers Overview
- Understanding Biomolecules
- Everyday Chemistry
- AP EAMCET AM (Agriculture & Medical) Flashcards