About This Chapter
Understanding Emotional & Mental Health - Chapter Summary
This chapter contains important content about mental health development during childhood and adolescence. The different dimensions of mental health will also be discussed, helping you become familiar with problems that influence a person's state of mind. Treatment options for individuals dealing with stress or depression are covered as well. After working your way through this entire chapter, you should be able to:
- Define psychopathology
- Identify the techniques used in mental health counseling
- Describe self-identity
- State how depression is treated
- Determine the factors that influence suicide
- Examine the effects of stress and adaptation
In this chapter, there are short video lessons that make learning about mental and emotional health fun. The videos are taught by online instructors who will ensure you understand all the different aspects of mental health. Each video comes with tags which are useful because they let you quickly go to the parts of a video you want to review. Lesson transcripts are also readily available highlighting key terms from this chapter.
1. Mental Health Development During Childhood and Adolescence
Some mental illnesses can show up at any point in a person's life, but some first occur during specific stages of lifespan development. In this lesson, we'll look closer at some disorders that appear in childhood, adolescence, and old age.
2. Mental Health & Psychopathology: Definition & Dimensions
In this lesson, we will explore some of the basic ways that we differentiate between mental health and psychopathology. Included in this is looking at social, behavioral, thought, and emotional processes.
3. Mental Health Counseling: Definition & Techniques
This lesson explores areas dealing with patients, mental health settings, and preventative measures that counselors can take when doing mental health counseling.
4. Health Behaviors and Promotion: Definition & Explanation
In this lesson, we will discuss health promotion, health behavior, and the three different kinds of disease prevention strategies you can employ to stay healthy for as long as possible.
5. Self Identity: Theory & Definition
Self-identity plays a large and significant role in shaping each of our lives. Learn about self-identity in psychology, and test your understanding with a quiz.
6. Stress & Adaptation: Effects, Defense Mechanisms & Coping Strategies
In this lesson, we explore the stress response and how people typically deal with stressful situations. We give a nod to situations older people have to deal with and what they are likely to do in response.
7. Understanding Anxiety Disorders: Definition and Perspectives in Mental Health
Anxiety disorders are the most common type of mental disorder, affecting as many as one in four people. In this lesson, we will explore anxiety disorders including common causes, symptoms, and treatments.
8. What Is Depression? - Symptoms, Treatment & Causes
In this lesson you will learn the difference between the feeling of depression and Major Depressive Disorder, or Major Depression. You will also learn about the causes behind Major Depression and what the current treatments are for people suffering from the disorder.
9. What Is Suicide? - Definition, Triggers, Underlying Causes & Prevention
Why would a person take their own life? And what can be done to prevent it? In this lesson, we'll look at the reasons for, triggers of, and prevention of suicide.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTTC Health (043): Practice & Study Guide course
- Overview of the Human Body
- Factors Affecting Social Health
- Psychosocial Health for Personal Wellness
- Alcohol & Tobacco Use and Personal Health
- Drugs & Substance Use Disorders
- Family & Peer Relationships
- Nutrition's Role in Health
- Diseases & the Immune System
- Understanding Health Care
- Consumer Awareness of Health Care
- Media & Advertising in Health Information
- Promoting Healthy Lifestyles
- Promoting Healthy Lifestyles: Exercise & Your Body
- Promoting Healthy Lifestyles: Stress Management
- Intentional Violence and Injury
- Communication Processes & Skills
- Learning Assessments
- The Government's Role in Public Education
- Health Education Strategies
- Planning & Implementing Health Education Programs
- Health Advocacy & Information Resources
- Health Education Programs
- Evaluating Health Education Programs
- MTTC Health Flashcards