About This Chapter
Understanding Endocrine Disorders - Chapter Summary
If you need to better understand the fundamentals of endocrine disorders, this chapter is for you. These informative lessons outline the causes, symptoms and treatments of several endocrine disorders, such as hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, diabetes insipidus and ketoacidosis. By the end of the chapter, you should be able to:
- Evaluate the symptoms and treatments of hypoglycemia, diabetes insipidus and hyperglycemic hyperosmolar nonketotic syndrome
- Define diabetic ketoacidosis
- Discuss the consequences of hyperglycemia complications
- Evaluate the diagnosis and treatments for inappropriate antidiuretic hormone secretion syndrome
These lessons are designed to be short and engaging, which helps you quickly move through the chapter and enjoy the studying experience. You can work through the chapter at your own pace. Use your computer or mobile device to access the lessons at any time. The chapter also includes plenty of practice quizzes to help you reinforce the topics you study.
1. What Is Hypoglycemia? - Definition, Symptoms, Causes & Treatment
Hypoglycemia is a health condition that refers to low blood sugar (glucose) levels. Learn about the definition of hypoglycemia, determine the normal glucose levels, and discover the symptoms, causes, triggers, and treatment options of hypoglycemia.
2. Diabetes Insipidus: Symptoms & Treatment
In this lesson, you're going to learn about the basics of a condition called diabetes insipidus, its two major forms, the major signs and symptoms, and potential treatment options.
3. Diabetic Ketoacidosis: A Serious Complication
Diabetic ketoacidosis is a serious condition where the body produces too many blood acids, known as ketones. Explore the causes of this condition as well as the symptoms and treatment.
4. Hyperglycemia: Complications & Consequences
In this lesson we'll be exploring what happens to the body during hyperglycemia. Here, you'll find out how hyperglycemia relates to diabetes and its consequences for different organ systems, such as the kidney, liver and brain.
5. Hyperglycemic Hyperosmolar Nonketotic Syndrome: Symptoms, Causes & Treatment
Diabetes is a disease with serious complications. In this lesson, we will learn about the symptoms, causes, and treatment of hyperglycemic hyperosmolar nonketotic syndrome.
6. Syndrome of Inappropriate Secretion of Antidiuretic Hormone: Diagnosis & Treatment
In this lesson, we will learn about a condition called syndrome of inappropriate secretion of antidiuretic hormone. We will learn how it is diagnosed and how it is treated.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Other chapters within the AACN CCRN (Adult) Certification: Exam Review & Study Guide course
- Patient Assessment & Diagnostics
- Medication Management for Nursing
- Nursing Procedures & Emergency Response
- Acute Coronary Syndromes & Cardiovascular Emergencies
- Aneurysms & Cardiovascular Diseases
- Understanding Heart Disease & Failure
- Understanding Defects & Disorders of the Heart
- Cardiovascular Nursing Actions
- Acute Respiratory Conditions
- Chronic Respiratory Conditions
- Thoracic Injury & Trauma
- Overview of Pulmonary Nursing Actions
- Pulmonary Nursing Actions & Tools for Pulmonary Procedures
- Hematology & Immunology Disorders
- Hematology & Immunology Nursing Actions
- Understanding Gastrointestinal Disorders
- Gastrointestinal Nursing Actions
- Understanding Renal Disorders
- Nursing Actions for Renal Problems
- Understanding Integumentary Disorders
- Integumentary Nursing Actions
- Musculoskeletal Disorders & Nursing Actions
- Understanding Neurological Disorders
- Understanding Traumatic Brain Injuries
- Neurological Nursing Actions
- Understanding Behavioral & Psychosocial Disorders for Nurses
- Behavioral & Psychological Nursing Actions
- Multisystem Clinical Judgments in Nursing
- Understanding Sepsis & Shock
- Healthcare-Associated Infections
- Sedation Nursing Actions
- Professional Care & Ethical Practices in Nursing