About This Chapter
Understanding Energy Resources - Chapter Summary
Take a look inside this earth science chapter to discover various energy resources. After exploring the role of energy in nature, you'll learn about the differences between renewable and non-renewable resources. You'll also examine the benefits and drawbacks of different energy types, such as solar, nuclear and hydroelectric energy. Take the chapter's self-assessment quizzes to make sure you fully understand important energy terms and concepts. The chapter is available 24/7, and our instructors will be happy to help you out if you have any questions. Studying these lessons can help you:
- Describe the significance of energy in nature
- Recognize examples of resources and reserves
- Differentiate between renewable and non-renewable resources
- Evaluate the pros and cons of fossil fuels
- Explain the advantages and disadvantages of solar, wind, nuclear, hydroelectric and tidal energy
- Define thermal energy
1. What is Energy? - Definition and Significance in Nature
This lesson describes the nature of energy and how it is transferred from one source into another. Additionally, it will describe the significance of energy in natural systems.
2. Resources and Reserves: Definitions & Examples
You might hear a lot about reserves and resources on Earth, but what exactly is the difference between the two? In this video lesson, you will learn about each, as well as how they represent different things that are quite related to each other.
3. Renewable & Non-Renewable Resources: Definition & Differences
We use a variety of Earth's resources, but not all of them will be around forever. This lesson explains the difference between resources that can be regenerated for our use and those that are gone after they are used once.
4. What Are Fossil Fuels? - Definition, Advantages & Disadvantages
Fossil fuels are sources of energy that have developed within the earth over millions of years. Because fossil fuels - oil, natural gas, and coal - take so long to form, they are considered nonrenewable. Learn more about these fuels, including the pros and cons of using them.
5. What is Solar Energy? - Definition, Pros & Cons
Learn about solar energy and how charged particles from the sun travel to Earth to provide heat and light. Explore solar energy as a direct and indirect energy source and examine the pros and cons of harvesting solar energy for other uses.
6. What is Thermal Energy? - Definition & Examples
This lesson defines and identifies examples of thermal energy everywhere from your kitchen to the Earth's core. We'll discuss geothermal energy, a renewable energy source, as well.
7. Wind as a Renewable Energy Resource: Advantages & Disadvantages
Wind power is a renewable energy resource, but there are both pros and cons to this type of energy. In this video lesson, you will learn about wind power as well as some of the benefits and drawbacks of using it as a global energy source.
8. What is Nuclear Energy? - Definition & Examples
You've probably heard of nuclear energy. But what is it? And what is the difference between fusion and fission? This lesson will answer your questions about this exciting form of energy that involves atoms and their nuclei.
9. Hydroelectric Energy: Definition, Uses, Advantages & Disadvantages
In this video lesson you will understand how water can be used to generate electrical energy. You will also identify some benefits and drawbacks of using this type of renewable resource for energy production.
10. Tidal Energy: Advantages and Disadvantages
The tides move a massive amount of water, and the energy from this moving water, known as tidal energy, can be captured and converted into electricity. Learn how tidal energy works and the advantages and disadvantages of this energy source.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the UExcel Earth Science: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Basic Earth Science Concepts
- Understanding Earth's History
- Understanding Geologic Time
- The Properties of Matter
- Overview of Earth's Spheres & Internal Structure
- The Lithosphere
- Overview of Minerals & Rocks
- Igneous Rocks Basics
- Weathering, Erosion & Wasting
- Sedimentary & Metamorphic Rocks
- Geological Forms
- Water Balance
- Understanding Running Water
- Overview of Groundwater Systems
- Life Cycle of Glaciers
- Properties of Oceans
- Basics of Coastal Hazards
- The Atmosphere
- Weather and Storms
- Understanding Earthquakes
- UExcel Earth Science Flashcards