About This Chapter
Understanding Environmental Issues in Business - Chapter Summary
Complete this chapter's lessons and quizzes to better understand current environmental issues in business. The chapter explores businesses' impact on the environment as well as the measures that businesses can take in order to protect it. You'll review environmental legislation and regulation, as well as sustainable development and environmental management topics. Take the accompanying self-assessment quizzes to help retain what you've reviewed, and if you have any questions about the material, you can easily reach out to our instructors online. The chapter is also accessible on any computer or mobile device. Upon completion of the chapter, you should be equipped to:
- Explain how environmental problems are impacted by human values and environmental ethics
- Interpret environmental legislation
- Assess the benefits and costs of environmental regulation
- Recognize obstacles that stand in the way of sustainable development
- Identify the stages of becoming an ecologically sustainable organization
- Outline various incentive-based regulatory approaches
- Understand how the earth's ecosystem is threatened by business
- Assess the advantages of effective environmental management
1. Environmental Ethics & Human Values: Definition & Impact on Environmental Problems
Environmental ethics take into consideration the moral obligations human beings have concerning the environment. Learn how environmental ethics and human values affect our ability to understand and solve environmental problems.
2. What is Environmental Legislation? - Laws, Regulations & Timeline
Environmental legislation is a collection of many laws and regulations aimed at protecting the environment from harmful actions. Learn about the National Environmental Policy Act and other environmental laws.
3. Costs & Benefits of Environmental Regulation
Environmental regulation provides protection to society regarding environmental hazards. Economists continue to debate the costs and benefits of regulation on businesses. This lesson we will examine both some added costs and benefits of regulation and their impact.
4. Sustainable Development: Definition, Obstacles & Impact
Let's discuss the idea of sustainable development. Then, let's looks at the obstacles involved with developing the world's economy to meet the needs of the present without hurting future generations. After the video, test what you learned through our practice quiz.
5. Stages of Becoming an Ecologically Sustainable Organization
The business community has an interest in reducing ecological damage. In this lesson, you will learn the stages through which firms progress as they become more sustainable.
6. Incentive-Based Regulatory Approaches: Environmental Taxes & Tradable Permits
An incentive-based regulatory approach aims to reduce environmentally-harmful pollutants by offering inducements to polluters who limit their emissions. Learn how environmental taxes and tradable permits are utilized to help protect the environment.
7. Businesses' Major Threats to Earth's Ecosystem
Businesses are a major threat to the earth's ecosystem. Some businesses are not supporting sustainable development and are causing enormous damage to the earth's ecosystem. Let's take a look at the damage.
8. Benefits of Effective Environmental Management in Businesses
Businesses have to determine the best ways to manage environmental issues. In this lesson, we will discuss the benefits of environmental management and how effective environmental management makes firms more competitive.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the UExcel Business Ethics: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Business, Government & Society Overview
- Understanding Business Ethics
- The Interaction of Business, Government & Society
- Understanding Management & Stakeholders in Business
- Public Affairs & Crisis Management for Business
- Employer-Employee Relationships
- Promoting Diversity in the Workforce
- Stockholders & Corporate Governance
- Corporate Social Responsibility & the Community
- Consumer Rights & Protections
- The Importance of Ethics in Advertising
- Business & Special Interest Groups
- The US Government & Legislation
- Regulations & Public Policy for Business
- The Judicial Branch of the US Government
- Business & Antitrust Laws
- Global Business Environment Overview
- Understanding International Trade & Business Law
- Understanding Technology in Business
- UExcel Business Ethics Flashcards