About This Chapter
Understanding Enzymes - Chapter Summary
Use this chapter to get all the knowledge you need about the basics of enzymes. Review entertaining lessons whenever your schedule permits to boost your knowledge of enzyme activity and the coenzyme. Once you've completed this chapter, you will be able to do the following:
- Describe the mechanism of enzyme activity
- List and discuss factors that affect enzyme activity
- Define and discuss the function of the coenzyme
Select the lessons you want to review based on your existing knowledge of enzymes. Navigate the lessons in any sequence, and revisit them as often as needed. Take the quiz accompanying each lesson to assess your comprehension of the concepts it covers. If you have questions about any topics covered in this chapter, don't hesitate to send them to our experts.
1. What Is the Mechanism of Enzyme Activity?
Have you ever wondered what an enzyme is and what it does? In this lesson, we'll learn what an enzyme is and how it does its job in the cell - the mechanism of enzyme activity. We'll also look at an example of an enzyme mechanism.
2. Factors that Affect Enzyme Activity
This lesson focuses on enzyme activity. We'll go over what an enzyme is and how it's used in the body. We'll also look at the different factors that affect enzyme activity, both positively and negatively.
3. Coenzyme: Definition & Function
This lesson defines what a coenzyme is and how it relates to enzymes. It also discusses the functions of a coenzyme and gives some information as to where coenzymes can be found.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the VCE Biology: Exam Prep & Study Guide course
- Developing a Scientific Investigation
- Ethical Considerations in Scientific Investigations
- Collecting Scientific Data
- Processing Experimental Results
- Communicating Scientific Ideas
- Cell Size, Structure & Function
- The Cell Membrane
- Stages of the Cell Cycle
- Cell Growth & Differentiation
- Energy Transformations in Living Things
- Functioning Systems of Living Things
- Adaptation & Regulation in Living Things
- Understanding Biodiversity
- Ecosystem Relationships & Populations
- Asexual & Sexual Reproduction
- Genomes, Genes & Alleles
- Chromosomes & Chromosome Disorders
- Genotypes & Phenotypes
- Pedigrees & Genetic Inheritence
- Cellular Membranes & Structures
- Nucleic Acids & Proteins
- Gene Structure & Regulation
- Photosynthesis Overview
- Cellular Respiration Overview
- Cellular Signals
- Antigens & Immune Response
- Immunity & the Immune System
- Genetics & Populations
- Biodiversity Over Time
- Relatedness Between Species
- Human Evolution
- DNA Manipulation
- Biological Knowledge & Society
- VCE Biology Flashcards