About This Chapter
Understanding Foreign Trade - Chapter Summary
If you are feeling uncertain about the inner workings of foreign trade, allow this chapter to help get you back up to speed. Our instructors are ready to remind you about such concepts as the pros and cons of international trade, the advantages and disadvantages of open trade, general trade procedures, and common exports. At the close of this chapter, you will be able to do the following:
- Compare external trade with internal trade
- Describe the politics and economics of international trade
- Define the terms export and import and provide examples
- Explain the significance and process of global market importing and exporting
- Offer examples of international trade document types
- Outline the purpose and history of the World Trade Organization
To make these comprehensive study materials for you, we hire experts who each have years of experience teaching commerce-related topics to students of all levels. They design every lesson to help you prepare for upcoming exams by making sure to discuss key vocabulary words, policies, and more. At the end of each lesson, you can take a short multiple-choice quiz to determine how well you understand what you've reviewed.
1. Internal Trade vs. External Trade
When we think of trade, we often think of international trade. However, trade happens even within a country's borders. This lesson will analyze the differences between internal and external trade, and examine the advantages and disadvantages of international trade.
2. The Economics & Politics of International Trade
We will discuss the economics & politics of international trade through the definition of open trade and its benefits and drawbacks. In addition, the ideas of competitive advantage and political patience will be shown as key indicators of global success.
3. What is an Import? - Definition & Example
Are those shoes you just got an import? How about that new vehicle that you bought or leased? Find out what imports are and why countries buy goods and services from other countries. Learn about some of the most common imported items today.
4. What is an Export? - Definition & Example
Learn about exports and discover what some of the most common exports in the United States are today. Find out how things such as balance of trade, customs, and imports relate to the exporting business.
5. Importing and Exporting in a Global Market: Definition, Process & Importance
The lifeblood of the global market is trade. In this lesson, you'll learn about the importance of importing and exporting and related concepts including trade deficits, balance of payments, and formal and informal barriers to trade.
6. Types of International Trade Documents
Looking to import or export goods from one country to another? This lesson will explain the basic types of international trade documents and how they detail information about the shipment and the buyer/seller.
7. The World Trade Organization: Definition, History, Purpose & Members
Find out what the World Trade Organization is and what it hopes to accomplish. Learn about the history of this organization and who some of the current members are.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ISC Commerce: Study Guide & Syllabus course
- Introduction to Indian Commercial Organization
- Forms of Indian Business Organizations
- Social Responsibility of Businesses
- Emerging Modes of Business
- Stock Exchange in India
- Types of Trade
- Insurance & Risk Management Basics
- Business Environment Overview
- Types of Financing
- Management Theories & Functions
- Marketing in India
- ISC Commerce Flashcards