About This Chapter
Understanding Gastrointestinal Disorders - Chapter Summary
A variety of gastrointestinal disorders are discussed thoroughly in this chapter for your review. These include treatments for acute abdominal trauma, the causes and treatments of upper gastrointestinal bleeding and the symptoms of a bowel obstruction. You'll also study how mesenteric ischemia and bowel infarctions are diagnosed, as well as the causes of perforated bowels. This chapter can help you achieve the following:
- Define GERD and how it's treated
- Explain the causes and risk factors of portal hypertension
- Detail some of the causes of cirrhosis
- Discuss causes and symptoms of esophageal varices
- Identify who is affected by the rare disease biliary atresia
- Describe the causes of malabsorption in the GI tract and how they are connected to each other
- Outline the effects of nutritional disturbances
- Explain the signs and diagnosis of pancreatitis
Challenging subject matter is a piece of cake with our professionally designed and user-friendly learning tools. Each bite-size lesson walks you through these topics and allows you to move at your own pace. Test yourself using the lesson quizzes and chapter test to make sure you're following along well. And you can reach out to an instructor through the Dashboard at any time with your questions.
1. Acute Abdominal Trauma: Types, Diagnosis & Treatment
Acute abdominal trauma can involve very serious, potentially life-threatening injuries. Find out about the types, symptoms, diagnosis, and treatments for acute abdominal trauma.
2. Upper Gastrointestinal Bleeding: Symptoms & Causes
Upper gastrointestinal bleeding can be a scary sight and can be life-threatening. In this lesson, we will learn about symptoms and causes of upper gastrointestinal bleeding.
3. Upper Gastrointestinal Bleeding: Management & Treatment
An upper gastrointestinal bleed is a serious condition and can be life threatening. In this lesson, we will learn about management and treatment for upper gastrointestinal bleeds.
4. What Is a Bowel Obstruction? - Causes, Symptoms & Treatment
After completing this lesson, you will be able to describe what a bowel obstruction is, as well as the causes, symptoms and treatment of the condition. A short quiz follows the lesson.
5. Bowel Infarction & Mesenteric Ischemia: Causes, Diagnosis & Treatment
Bowel infarctions and mesenteric ischemia refer to a very serious, life-threatening condition that affects the abdominal region of the body. What causes this condition? How is it diagnosed and treated? Continue reading to find out!
6. Perforated Bowels: Causes, Symptoms & Treatment
A perforated bowel is a potentially life-threatening condition. Learn all about perforated bowels, including the causes, symptoms, and treatments for this medical emergency.
7. What Is GERD? - Definition, Causes, Symptoms & Treatment
Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) is a medical condition that effects the esophagus. When stomach contents travel back into the esophagus it can produce a burning sensation in the chest.
8. Portal Hypertension: Causes, Symptoms & Treatment
Portal hypertension is a condition of high blood pressure within one of the major blood vessels associated with the liver. Read this lesson for more detailed information about the causes, symptoms, and treatment of portal hypertension.
9. Cirrhosis: Definition, Causes & Treatments
This lesson will discuss cirrhosis, why it may occur, what it looks like, and how it may be treated. Additionally, you'll learn about fibrosis, hypertension, and what signs to look for on diagnostic tests.
10. Esophageal Varices: Definition, Symptoms, Causes & Treatment
This lesson will define esophageal varices, describing symptoms, and discussing causes and treatment. Esophageal varices are serious and relate to the health of the liver.
11. Biliary Atresia: Causes, Symptoms & Treatment
Biliary atresia is a rare and serious condition affecting newborn infants. This lesson will review its causes, symptoms, diagnosis, and treatments while following a case study.
12. Malabsorption in the GI Tract
We will cover the major causes and processes of malabsorption in the GI tract and how they may connect with one another in different ways. This will include taking a look at the organs of the GI tract and their respective diseases.
13. Common Nutritional Disturbances
There are many situations that can affect a person's nutrition. Learn more about common nutritional disturbances and their effects on the body and test your knowledge with a quiz.
14. Acute & Chronic Pancreatitis: Causes, Signs & Treatments
This lesson will discuss pancreatitis. We'll go over what a normal pancreas is supposed to do and what goes on during pancreatitis. We'll briefly touch upon its diagnosis and treatment as well.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AACN CCRN (Adult) Certification: Exam Review & Study Guide course
- Patient Assessment & Diagnostics
- Medication Management for Nursing
- Nursing Procedures & Emergency Response
- Acute Coronary Syndromes & Cardiovascular Emergencies
- Aneurysms & Cardiovascular Diseases
- Understanding Heart Disease & Failure
- Understanding Defects & Disorders of the Heart
- Cardiovascular Nursing Actions
- Acute Respiratory Conditions
- Chronic Respiratory Conditions
- Thoracic Injury & Trauma
- Overview of Pulmonary Nursing Actions
- Pulmonary Nursing Actions & Tools for Pulmonary Procedures
- Understanding Endocrine Disorders
- Hematology & Immunology Disorders
- Hematology & Immunology Nursing Actions
- Gastrointestinal Nursing Actions
- Understanding Renal Disorders
- Nursing Actions for Renal Problems
- Understanding Integumentary Disorders
- Integumentary Nursing Actions
- Musculoskeletal Disorders & Nursing Actions
- Understanding Neurological Disorders
- Understanding Traumatic Brain Injuries
- Neurological Nursing Actions
- Understanding Behavioral & Psychosocial Disorders for Nurses
- Behavioral & Psychological Nursing Actions
- Multisystem Clinical Judgments in Nursing
- Understanding Sepsis & Shock
- Healthcare-Associated Infections
- Sedation Nursing Actions
- Professional Care & Ethical Practices in Nursing