About This Chapter
Understanding Genetics & Heredity - Chapter Summary
How much do you understand about genetics and heredity? This chapter can help you find out! Explore informative lessons from home or on-the-go to get a comprehensive overview of topics that include pleiotropy, DNA fingerprinting and the Human Genome Project. Navigate this chapter at your own pace. When finished, you will be prepared to:
- Define pleiotropy, and discuss codominance and genes with multiple alleles
- Explain how multiple genes can control polygenic traits
- Discuss the basics of sex determination, x-inactivtion and Barr bodies
- Share details about the ZW sex determination system
- Describe sex-linked traits on the X and Y chromosomes
- Identify types of genetic disorders, and discuss their symptoms
- Provide details about the purpose and benefits of the Human Genome Project
- Detail the processes and uses of DNA fingerprinting
Feel free to review the lessons in any order and as many times as needed to gain full comprehension of genetics and heredity. Each lesson is accompanied by a short quiz you can take to assess your comprehension of concepts you examine. A practice chapter exam is also available to reinforce your heredity and genetics knowledge. If you have questions about the concepts you explore in this chapter, be sure to send them to our experts.
1. Pleiotropy: Definition & Examples
There are many different mutations that occur during growth in organisms. Many times, these mutations can be passed on and will occur in such a way as to be beneficial to the organism. Sometimes, they are not. We will be looking at one such type of mutation here.
2. Codominance & Genes with Multiple Alleles
Some genes have more than two alleles, which increases the possible genetic outcomes for offspring. And as we'll see in this lesson, sometimes those alleles work together to produce a codominant phenotype.
3. Polygenic Traits: Definition & Examples
If variety is the spice of life, polygenic inheritance is one genetic mechanism giving us a continuous range of possibilities. In this lesson, learn how a polygenic trait, like height, can be controlled by multiple genes.
4. Sex Determination, X-Inactivation, and Barr Bodies
Sex determination, X-inactivation and Barr bodies are complex chromosomal processes. Learn more about each of these processes and test your knowledge with a quiz.
5. ZW Sex Determination System: Variations & Example
In this lesson, we will learn how the ZZ/ZW sex determination differs from the XX/XY system. We'll also talk a bit about how it works at the biochemical level, but some of the details aren't even known to scientists yet!
6. Sex-Linked Traits on the X and Y Chromosomes
The sex chromosome you inherit from your parents determines whether you are male or female. But many genes are carried on these chromosomes as well, and the inheritance of this genetic information works a bit differently.
7. Types of Genetic Disorders: Definitions & Symptoms
Cystic fibrosis, Huntington's disease, Tay-Sachs disease, sickle cell disease, Down syndrome, and cancer all have something in common. They are all genetic disorders, and we will discuss why they may occur and what problems they might cause.
8. What is the Human Genome Project? - Definition, Purpose & Benefits
We often hear about scientific research being done but may not truly understand what that entails. This is not one of those times. The Human Genome Project has allowed many breakthroughs in genetic research that affect us in a very tangible way, right here, right now.
9. What is DNA Fingerprinting? - Process & Uses
DNA fingerprinting is a very useful technique that has applications beyond criminal and forensic analysis. In this lesson, you'll learn what DNA fingerprinting is, how it is done, and different ways it can be used to determine identity.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AP EAMCET AM (Agriculture & Medical): Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Diversity in the Living World
- Plant Structures & Systems
- Overview of Plant Physiology
- Understanding Plant Reproduction
- Understanding Plant Ecology
- Understanding Plant Genetics
- Cell Structure, Function & Division
- Understanding Microbiology
- Basics of Genetics
- Biotechnology Overview
- Zoology Overview
- Structural Organization of Animals
- Types of Animals
- Protozoa Basics
- Biology & Human Welfare
- Type Study of Periplaneta Americana
- Ecology & the Environment
- Human Digestion, Respiration, Circulation & Excretion Systems
- Human Muscular, Skeletal & Nervous Systems
- Human Endocrine & Immune Systems
- Understanding Human Reproduction
- Organic Evolution
- Understanding the Basics of Physics
- Units & Measurement in Physics
- Understanding Motion in Physics
- Systems of Particles & Rotational Motion
- Work, Energy & Power Overview
- Overview of Oscillations
- Overview of Gravitation
- Properties of Solids, Fluids & Gases
- Thermal Properties of Matter
- Rays, Waves & Wave Optics
- Understanding Electricity
- Magnetic Force & Electromagnetism
- Currents, Waves & Circuits
- Communication Systems
- Atoms & Nuclei
- Atomic Structure Overview
- Understanding Elements & the Periodic Table
- Chemical Bonding & Molecular Structure
- States of Matter in Chemistry
- Basic Stoichiometry
- Thermodynamics & Chemistry
- Chemical Equilibrium & Acid-Bases
- Hydrogen & Hydrogen Compounds
- Alkali & Alkaline Earth Metals
- Environmental Chemistry
- Understanding Organic Chemistry
- Solids in Chemistry
- Electrochemistry & Chemical Kinetics
- Surface Chemistry
- Metallurgy Overview
- Polymers Overview
- Understanding Biomolecules
- Everyday Chemistry
- AP EAMCET AM (Agriculture & Medical) Flashcards