About This Chapter
Understanding Health Education Programs - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, you'll find video lessons covering health education programs. Each video can be completed in ten minutes or less. You'll study topics such as the role of health education teachers and students in the community, the definition of health education and assessing school health education. Once you finish this chapter, you should be able to:
- Detail communication strategies for external and internal public health education
- Define health education and its role in society
- Outline components of effective school health education programs
- Identify assessment, resources and vision for school health education
- Share options for school health education professional development
- Discuss curriculum issues in health education
- Plan inclusive student health instruction
- Point out the policies, ethics and laws that apply to health education programs
We've taken the stress out of studying by providing quick answers from our experts through the Dashboard. Each lesson is accompanied by a self-assessment quiz so you can make sure you're ready to move on. Feel free to work at your convenience 24 hours a day, reviewing as many or as few of these videos as needed to reach your goals.
1. What is Health Education? - Definition, Topics & Role in Society
What is health education and what do health educators do? What is the history of this interesting field? This lesson defines health education and goes over many of its important facets.
2. School Health Education Program: Plans & Investigation
This lesson outlines several important steps involved in developing a school health education program, particularly: organization, planning, investigation, and communication.
3. School Health Education: Assessment, Vision & Resources
This lesson covers several steps involved in successfully developing a school health education program. These include assessing the needs of the community, developing a mission statement, and evaluating the program's resources.
4. School Health Education: Curriculum & Professional Development
This lesson will focus on the curriculum-related aspects of developing a school health education program as well as the importance of professional development.
5. Curriculum Issues in Health Education
Proper curriculums are crucial when educating health education students. Many issues and factors play a role in the development of these curriculums, and this lesson goes over some important ones.
6. Planning Inclusive Student Health Instruction
In this lesson, we'll discuss strategies for planning health instruction that reflects the abilities, needs, interests, developmental levels and cultural backgrounds of all students.
7. The Role of Health Education Teachers & Students in the Community
What is health education? How are teachers involved in health education in the community? And how can students make a difference? You'll find out in this lesson.
8. Communication Strategies for Internal & External Public Health Education
Public Health Education is the science of keeping communities properly informed about all the aspects that keep its members safe and healthy. However, informing communities in an appropriate way requires some strategies, which we discuss in this lesson.
9. Health Education Programs: Laws, Policies & Ethics
Successful health education programs should result in knowledgeable and skilled health professionals and an informed public. Learn about the standards required for successful health education.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NYSTCE Health Education (073): Practice and Study Guide course
- Human Growth & Development
- Childhood Growth & Development
- Adolescence Growth & Development
- Adult Growth & Development
- Pregnancy, Prenatal Care & Childbirth
- Introduction to Health & Wellness
- Introduction to Disease & Illness
- Mental Distress, Depression & Suicide
- Basic Principles of Nutrition
- Carbohydrates in Nutrition
- Lipids in Nutrition
- Protein in Nutrition
- Water as a Nutrient
- Minerals & Nutrition
- Vitamins in Nutrition
- Eating Disorders & Treatments
- Benefits of Physical Fitness
- Health Risk Education
- Injury Prevention Strategies
- Environmental Health & Protection
- Substance Use & Abuse
- Human Sexuality & Health
- Communication Processes & Skills
- Family & Social Systems
- Discrimination, Aggression & Conflict
- Media & Advertising of Health Information
- Resources for Health Information
- Health Care Systems
- Governmental Health Regulations
- Education Strategies & Methods
- Assessments in Health Education Programs
- NYSTCE Health Education Flashcards