About This Chapter
Understanding Health Policy Analysis - Chapter Summary
This mobile-friendly chapter offers short and informative lessons on health policy analysis. Each lesson is taught by an expert instructor who explains health policy analysis topics in an easy-to-understand manner. You can expect to learn about defining problems, information processing, effectiveness, feasibility and research in health policy analysis. To help you retain important concepts, we've included lesson-specific quizzes and a chapter exam. When you're finished with the lessons and quizzes, you should be able to:
- Define health policy analysis
- Recognize problems and create relevant questions in health policy analysis
- Frame and process information in health policy analysis
- Describe the importance of effectiveness, efficiency and feasibility in health policy analysis
- Evaluate health policy analysis in terms of ethics, public opinion and politics
- Identify the political effects of health care policy implementation
- Write about health policy research
1. Health Policy Analysis: Definition & Approach
Health policy analysis is the subject of this lesson and the discussion is around the elements of the analysis. Doing a thorough investigation of the data before planning can help streamline policy development.
2. Defining a Problem in Health Policy Analysis
An important first step in any policy analysis is defining the problem that needs to be addressed. Let's examine the steps that are involved in the problem definition stage of health policy analysis.
3. Creating Relevant Questions In Health Policy Analysis
Do you know what's involved in a health policy analysis? In this lesson, a hypothetical Ebola outbreak is our health problem. We'll examine the process and the formation of questions that will assist the policy team to create a healthy policy.
4. Framing & Information Processing in Health Policy Analysis
If you are interested in health care policy and policy analysis, you might be curious to learn about how people perceive and make sense of policies. This lesson discusses framing and information processing as they apply to health policy analysis.
5. Feasibility, Effectiveness & Efficiency in Health Policy Analysis
In this lesson, we'll examine key criteria that are used in health policy analysis to compare different policy alternatives. We'll discuss issues of effectiveness, economic efficiency, equity, and political feasibility.
6. Ethics, Politics & Public Opinion in Health Policy Analysis
When we analyze different health policies for efficacy and relevance, we take many different factors into consideration. This lesson discusses the roles of ethics, politics and public opinion in health policy analysis.
7. Political Effects of Health Care Policy Implementation
Health care policy and politics don't seem like they are related, but they both have major influences on each other. This lesson will discuss the political effects of health care policy implementation.
8. Writing About Health Policy Research
This lesson will give you background on writing health policy research. It will include the definition of policy, the different components needed when writing health policy research, and the different templates used for health policy research.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Health 302: Health Services Policy course
- Introduction to Health & Public Policy
- Overview of the U.S. Health Care System
- Organization of Health Services & Systems
- Health Care Financing
- Health Service Providers, Care & Delivery
- Public Health & U.S. Health Care
- U.S. Health Services & Policy
- Determinants in Health Policy
- Health Policy Development, Implementation & Impact
- Analyzing Health Programs & Systems
- Health Policy Research
- Required Assignments for Health 302