About This Chapter
Understanding Heart Disease & Failure - Chapter Summary
If you need to better understand basic information about heart disease and heart failure, you're in the right place. This self-paced chapter offers easy-to-understand lessons about the causes, symptoms and treatments of heart failure and various types of cardiomyopathy. These lessons are short and engaging, and when you're finished working through the chapter, you should be able to:
- Describe the symptoms and treatments of dilated, hypertrophic, idiopathic and restrictive cardiomyopathy
- Describe the etiology of left heart failure
- Evaluate right heart failure treatments
The chapter includes short and interactive quizzes to help you retain important medical terminology and treatment procedures. Your course dashboard keeps track of your progress throughout the chapter, and our instructors are available to answer any questions you may have. You can also access these resources any time using your computer or mobile device.
1. Dilated Cardiomyopathy: Causes, Symptoms, Treatment, & Prognosis
We will go over an important medical condition known as dilated cardiomyopathy, why it occurs pathologically, what it does to the body physiologically, and how compensatory mechanisms help and hurt the body in this lesson.
2. Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy: Causes, Symptoms, & Treatment
This lesson will discuss hypertrophic cardiomyopathy and cardiac hypertrophy in general, including what occurs, what the consequences are, and what treatment options exist.
3. Idiopathic Cardiomyopathy: Definition & Treatment
Idiopathic cardiomyopathy is a disease that affects the heart. It causes the chambers of the heart to enlarge and decreases muscle contractions. This lesson will discuss idiopathic cardiomyopathy and how it is treated.
4. Restrictive Cardiomyopathy: Definition, Symptoms & Causes
This lesson defines restrictive cardiomyopathy. You'll learn exactly what happens during this disease, what its causes might be, as well as some of the major signs and symptoms of the disorder.
5. Heart Failure: The Left Heart, Lungs, & Etiology
In this first of two lessons, we will cover the main causes, signs, and symptoms of heart failure. We'll also explore the ways that the left side of the heart and the lungs are affected by this condition.
6. Heart Failure: The Right Heart, Kidneys, & Treatments
In the second of two lessons on heart failure, we will discuss the signs of right-sided heart failure, fast heart rates, the important role the kidneys play in heart failure, and the major treatment options for this condition.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AACN CCRN (Adult) Certification: Exam Review & Study Guide course
- Patient Assessment & Diagnostics
- Medication Management for Nursing
- Nursing Procedures & Emergency Response
- Acute Coronary Syndromes & Cardiovascular Emergencies
- Aneurysms & Cardiovascular Diseases
- Understanding Defects & Disorders of the Heart
- Cardiovascular Nursing Actions
- Acute Respiratory Conditions
- Chronic Respiratory Conditions
- Thoracic Injury & Trauma
- Overview of Pulmonary Nursing Actions
- Pulmonary Nursing Actions & Tools for Pulmonary Procedures
- Understanding Endocrine Disorders
- Hematology & Immunology Disorders
- Hematology & Immunology Nursing Actions
- Understanding Gastrointestinal Disorders
- Gastrointestinal Nursing Actions
- Understanding Renal Disorders
- Nursing Actions for Renal Problems
- Understanding Integumentary Disorders
- Integumentary Nursing Actions
- Musculoskeletal Disorders & Nursing Actions
- Understanding Neurological Disorders
- Understanding Traumatic Brain Injuries
- Neurological Nursing Actions
- Understanding Behavioral & Psychosocial Disorders for Nurses
- Behavioral & Psychological Nursing Actions
- Multisystem Clinical Judgments in Nursing
- Understanding Sepsis & Shock
- Healthcare-Associated Infections
- Sedation Nursing Actions
- Professional Care & Ethical Practices in Nursing