About This Chapter
Understanding Heat Transfer - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, our instructors define heat and explain how it is different from temperature. The concept of latent heat is introduced, as well as how heat is transferred. How to identify the phase changes that occur during heat transfer is also presented.
As you move through the lessons, you will also learn about calorimetry as a measuring device and how else temperature is measured. This chapter will prepare you to do the following:
- Understand the practical applications of heat such as thermodynamics
- Define latent heat and how it affects matter
- Differentiate between the three ways heat is transferred between objects
- Solve heat calculations using a simple equation
- Convert different temperature measurement units
Our mobile-friendly lessons and quizzes have been designed by professional instructors. These study materials are available for your review 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The chapter tests and lesson quizzes can be used to measure how well you understand the subject and to identify where extra study may be needed.
1. What is Heat? - Definition & Explanation
In this lesson, you will learn the definition of heat and find out how it differs from temperature. You will also explore practical applications of heat such as expansion, thermodynamics, heat transfer, specific heat, phase transitions, and heat engines.
2. Latent Heat: Definition, Formula & Examples
Heat is an important component of phase changes. This lesson will delve into the concept of latent heat and how it affects of the behavior of matter during phase changes.
3. Mechanisms of Heat Transfer: Conduction, Convection & Radiation
There are three main ways that heat is transferred between substances or objects. In this video lesson you'll learn about each one, and identify the differences between them.
4. Heat Transfer & Phase Changes
After watching this lesson, you will be able to explain what heat transfer is and describe the various phase changes that can result from heat transfer in terms of the position of the molecules. You will also be able to give the names of those phase changes. A short quiz will follow.
5. Calorimetry: Measuring Heat Transfer and Heat Capacity
This video lesson explains the technique of calorimetry used to measure heat transfer in chemical reactions. You will see how different materials have different specific heat capacities. You will learn how to carry out heat calculations using a simple equation.
6. Measuring Temperature & Converting Units of Temperature
In this video lesson, we will learn what temperature is, how we measure it and the units it is measured in. We will also learn how to convert easily between the different units using simple conversion factors.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NDA Exam Preparation & Study Guide course
- About the NDA Exam
- Algebra Concepts
- Advanced Algebra Concepts
- Solving Matrices & Determinants
- Trigonometry Concepts
- Geometry & Linear Equations
- Analytic Geometry
- Functions, Limits & Continuity
- Derivative Rules
- Calculations & Applications of Derivatives
- Integral Calculus
- Differential Equations & Applications
- Scalars & Vectors in Algebra
- Visualizing Statistics
- Probability Concepts in Math
- Grammar and Usage
- Improving Reading Comprehension
- Measurements in Physics
- Motion in Physics
- Basics of Work, Power & Energy
- Sound Waves
- Light, Mirrors & Lenses
- Electric Currents & Power
- Scientific Technology, Machines & Tools
- The Atom & Structure of Elements
- Chemical Properties of Elements & Substances
- Chemical Symbols, Formulas & Reactions
- Qualities of Living Organisms
- Health Science Basics
- Solar System & Eclipses
- Achievements of Famous Scientists
- Indian History
- Overview of Major World History Events
- World Government Types
- The Earth
- Earth's Oceans, Atmosphere & Climate
- Regional Geography of South Asia
- Modern Day Events in India
- NDA Exam Preparation & Study Guide Flashcards