About This Chapter
Understanding Human Development - Chapter Summary
Anyone who is interested in pursuing a career in the nursing profession, or any related field, should make sure that he or she has a good understanding of basic human development. If this applies to you, watch the video lessons found in this chapter to learn about the major topics in human development and their applications to the nursing field.
The lesson instructors will go over the different aspects of human development, and how they tend to appear in most people. You will learn about specific considerations in development and the possible effects of different variables on the growth and development of individuals. Watch these lessons to learn about:
- Learning, growth and maturation
- Growth and development principles
- Cognitive, emotional and social development
- The definition and examples of physical development
- Gender differences
- Milestones in child and adolescent development
- The effects of genetics and environment on development
When you complete a specific lesson, the lesson's practice quiz will be useful for ensuring that you have accurately understood that particular topic. Once you are finished with the entire chapter, be sure, as well, to take the chapter's final exam to test your knowledge of the overall subject. Your personal Dashboard can be used to keep track of your progress as you move through the chapter.
1. What is Development? - Growth, Maturation & Learning
To many people, terms like development, growth, maturation, and learning all mean the same thing. In this lesson, we'll learn the subtle differences between each of these terms and how they apply to human life.
2. Principles of Growth and Development
Is there a pattern to how human growth and development takes place? This lesson will examine some universal principles of growth and development in order to help you find the answer to this question.
3. What are Cognitive, Social, and Emotional Development?
People grow and develop in many different ways and in many different areas. In this lesson, we'll look closer at three types of human development: cognitive, social, and emotional development.
4. What Is Physical Development? - Definition and Examples
Everyone grows and changes throughout their lives. In this lesson, we'll look at some important times in physical development, including childhood and old age, and how physical development contributes to other types of development.
5. Child and Adolescent Development: Developmental Milestones & Nature vs. Nurture
How does a child develop cognitively? Which influences development more - genetics or the environment? How important are early experiences in the growth and cognitive development of a child? These are some of the major questions that guide the work of researchers in the field of educational psychology. This lesson will begin to address these questions by describing the basic principles that characterize child and adolescent development.
6. Gender Differences: The Nature Versus Nurture Debate
Are boys better in math and science courses than girls? Are girls better at activities like dance? Gender stereotypes are abundant in society. Are these stereotypes based on real differences or perpetuated opinions? This lesson focuses on gender differences and the influence of nature versus nurture.
7. How Genetics and the Environment Interact in Human Development
Everyone is different. But what makes a person unique? In this lesson, we'll examine the way genes and the environment affect who a person is, including looking at the nature vs. nurture debate and looking at how nature and nurture influence one another.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NCLEX-RN Study Guide & Practice course
- The Profession of Nursing
- Legal Aspects of Nursing
- Nursing Communication & Patient Rights
- Communication & Interpersonal Relations in Nursing
- Safety & Security in Nursing
- Infection Control & Sterilization
- The Aging Process
- Pregnancy & Newborn Care
- Disease Prevention & Health Screening
- Healthy Lifestyle Choices
- Physical Assessment Techniques
- Recognizing Abuse & Neglect
- Addictive Behaviors and Drug Use
- Substance Dependence Disorders
- Crisis Situations & Intervention
- End of Life Care
- Mental Health Concepts
- Religious & Spiritual Influences on Health
- Sensory & Perceptual Development
- Stress Management and Coping Mechanisms
- Health Care Support Systems
- Understanding Elimination in Nursing
- Assistive Devices & Mobility
- Hygiene for Nurses
- Understanding Rest & Sleep for Nurses
- Medication Administration & Nursing
- Understanding Pain & Pain Management for Nurses
- Nutrition Essentials for Nursing
- Clinical Test Results - Cells and Blood Proteins: Help and Review
- Diagnostics, Testing & Procedures for Nursing
- Alterations of the Musculoskeletal System
- Fluid & Electrolyte Balance Concerns in Nursing
- Understanding Oxygenation in Nursing
- Illness Management for Nurses
- Medical Emergencies for Nurses
- The Basic Components of Pathophysiology
- NCLEX-RN Flashcards