About This Chapter
Understanding Human Genetics - Chapter Summary
The lessons in this chapter provide an overview of human genetics. You'll review sex determination, chromosomal rearrangement, and DNA. You'll also gain an understanding of how blood types are passed from parents to their children. After completing the chapter, you should be prepared to:
- Discuss Mendelian and non-Mendelian traits passed down through generations
- Explain how scientists study heritability
- Recall differences in the four human blood types
- Express the importance of Rh blood compatibility during pregnancy
- Discuss X-inactivation as part of complex chromosomal processes
- List different genetic disorders
- Explain how polygenic inheritance influences development
These lessons help you quickly get up to speed on human genetics. You can review all the lessons in order, or just look at the ones that cover the topics you need to review. A brief multiple-choice quiz is available for each lesson to test your knowledge, and you can print the quizzes as worksheets.
1. Mendelian & Non-Mendelian Traits in Humans: Definition & List
Mendelian traits are physical characteristics passed down from parents based on dominant and recessive alleles. This lesson will go into more detail about what Mendelian and non-Mendelian traits are and how they are passed down through generations with examples of each.
2. Using Twin Studies to Determine Heritability
A twin can be more than a built-in buddy for life. Scientists can use monozygotic and dizygotic twin pairs to study the heritability of just about anything, from cancer to behavior.
3. Blood Type Inheritance in Humans
This lesson explains differences among the four blood types in humans: A, B, AB, and O. It also shows how these blood types are passed from parents to children.
4. Rh Blood Group, Rh Factor & Erythroblastosis Fetalis
Rh factor is a red blood cell antigen found in most people. Those with Rh factor are Rh positive, while those without are Rh negative. In this lesson you will learn about Rh blood compatibility and its importance during pregnancy.
5. Sex Determination, X-Inactivation, and Barr Bodies
Sex determination, X-inactivation and Barr bodies are complex chromosomal processes. Learn more about each of these processes and test your knowledge with a quiz.
6. Chromosomal Rearrangement
Have you ever switched out one thing for another or traded places with someone? Our chromosomes can do this, too. This lesson tells you how as we go over chromosomal rearrangements!
7. What are Genetic Disorders? - Definitions & Descriptions
This lesson defines genetic disorders and explores three main types of genetic disorders, including monogenetic disorders, chromosome disorders, and multifactorial inheritance disorders. You'll learn about genes, chromosomes, DNA, and much more!
8. Types of Genetic Disorders: Definitions & Symptoms
Cystic fibrosis, Huntington's disease, Tay-Sachs disease, sickle cell disease, Down syndrome, and cancer all have something in common. They are all genetic disorders, and we will discuss why they may occur and what problems they might cause.
9. Sex-Linked Traits on the X and Y Chromosomes
The sex chromosome you inherit from your parents determines whether you are male or female. But many genes are carried on these chromosomes as well, and the inheritance of this genetic information works a bit differently.
10. The Influence of Sex-Linked and Polygenic Inheritance on Development
What is sex-linked inheritance? What influence does it have on human development? What does it mean if a trait is polygenic? Learn the answers to these questions as this lesson explores this area of genetic inheritance.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the UPSEE Paper 2: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Basics of Scientific Units & Measurement
- Understanding the Laws of Motion
- Energy, Work & Power in Physics
- Fundamentals of Linear Momentum
- Understanding Rotation of a Rigid Body
- Gravitation in Physics
- Understanding Oscillatory Motion
- Mechanics of Solids & Fluids
- Properties of Heat & Thermodynamics
- Overview of Waves
- Understanding Electrostatics
- Overview of Current Electricity
- Magnetic Effect of Current
- Magnetism in Matter
- Electromagnetic Induction Overview
- Ray Optics & Optical Instruments
- Understanding Wave Optics
- Overview of Modern Physics
- Overview of Nuclear Physics
- Electronics, Transistors & Signals
- Atomic Structure & Configuration
- Properties of Chemical Bonds
- Redox Reactions Overview
- Chemical Equilibrium & Kinetics
- Electrochemistry & Catalysts
- Colloids in Chemistry
- Colligative Properties of Solution
- Periodic Table & Electronic Configuration
- Overview of Thermochemistry
- Reactions & Compounds in Organic Chemistry
- Understanding Isomerism
- Overview of Organic Compounds
- Properties of Solids in Chemistry
- Origin of Life & Organic Evolution
- Viruses Overview
- Applied Genetics
- Applied Human Biology
- Applied Biological Conservation in India
- Mammalian Anatomy
- Nutrition Overview
- Excretion & Osmoregulation
- The Human Respiratory System
- Parts of the Nervous System
- Overview of the Endocrine System
- Hormonal Disorders & Pheromones
- Parts of the Circulatory System
- Animal Diversity
- Types of Protozoa
- Porifera, Cnidaria & Ctenophora
- Ascaris & Pheretima
- Phylum Arthropoda
- Plant Cells Overview
- Cell Division in Plants
- Mendelism Overview
- Plant Diversity
- Classification of Plant-Like Organisms
- Plant Tissues, Stems, Leaves & Roots
- Understanding Plant Physiology
- Photosynthesis, Transpiration & Respiration
- Plant Growth & Movement Overview
- Overview of Ecology
- Types of Pollution
- UPSEE Paper 2 Flashcards