About This Chapter
Understanding Human Impact on Earth & Global Climate Change - Chapter Summary
This chapter contains lessons to help you understand the human impact on Earth and global climate change. As you work through these lessons, you can study overpopulation and overconsumption, the definition of IPAT and the methods used to monitor human impact on Earth. After completing this chapter, you should be able to:
- Understand how the effects of human activity on Earth are mitigated
- Discuss habitat fragmentation, conservation biology and metapopulations
- Explain climate classification and their global distribution
- Detail the factors and natural causes of climate change
- Outline feedback mechanisms of climate change
- Identify the causes of repeating climate change patterns
- Describe the effects of and mitigation strategies used for global climate change
Our professional instructors are available to answer any questions you submit through the Dashboard. The lesson quizzes and chapter test are a helpful way to clarify any topics or check your readiness for an important exam. To make your study experience flexible and convenient, we've made these resources accessible 24 hours a day on any mobile device or computer.
1. Overpopulation vs. Overconsumption
How many people can the Earth support? In this lesson, we will explore population growth and some of the concerns associated with this growth, including overpopulation and overconsumption.
2. What Is IPAT? - Factors of the Human Impact on the Environment
What do the letters IPAT have to do with the environment? Learn how this four-letter equation helps explain the environmental impact of different variables, including population, affluence, and technology.
3. Mitigating the Effects of Human Activities on Earth
In this lesson we'll be focusing on how we can mitigate the negative effects of human activities on Earth. We'll cover the importance of recycling, water treatment facilities and development of marine conservation areas.
4. Conservation Biology, Habitat Fragmentation, and Metapopulations
It's becoming harder to conserve large, unbroken tracts of wilderness. Is there another way for conservation biologists to ensure the survival of a species? In this lesson, you'll learn about habitat fragmentation and metapopulations.
5. Climate Classifications & Their Global Distribution
Earth has many climates, but we can categorize them based on common characteristics. In this video lesson you will identify the 5 major climate classifications on Earth, as well as where on Earth these climates are found.
6. Factors Involved in Climate Change
Our Earth's climate has changed many times in her 4.5 billion year lifetime. Discover the multiple factors that influence these changes and test your understanding with a short quiz.
7. Natural Causes of Climate Change
Climate change is a complex occurrence with many possible causes. Here we will discuss the natural factors that affect climate change. At the end, you can test your knowledge with a brief quiz.
8. Feedback Mechanisms of Climate Change
Our climate is performing a constant balancing act. Discover what happens when this balance is upset, how our planet responds, and the important feedback mechanisms at play.
9. Causes of Repeating Climate Change Patterns
Learn about Earth's natural climate cycles, and what causes them, including orbital geometry, solar activity and El Nino. See what you know by taking a quiz.
10. Global Climate Change: Effects and Mitigation Strategies
In this video lesson, you will learn about the potential effects of global climate change. You will also learn how some are working to better understand climate change in order to slow the rate of temperature increase on Earth.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the CSET Science Subtest II Earth and Space Sciences (219): Test Prep & Study Guide course
- Understanding Stars, Solar Systems & Galaxies
- Celestial Bodies of Our Solar System
- Astronomical Laws & Measurements
- Understanding Earth's Formation & Development
- Rocks & Minerals
- Overview of Earth's Systems
- Tectonic Plates, Volcanoes & Earthquakes
- Understanding Water's Role on Earth
- Understanding Earth's Atmosphere, Climate & Weather
- California's Natural Resources & Hazards
- CSET Science Subtest 2 Earth & Space Sciences Flashcards