About This Chapter
Understanding Integumentary Disorders - Chapter Summary
This comprehensive chapter helps you gain an understanding of integumentary disorders. As you progress through these simple and expertly taught lessons, you'll break down the characteristics of various integumentary issues, such as pressure ulcers, surgical wounds, blunt trauma and I.V. infiltration. Upon completion of the chapter, you should be equipped to:
- Differentiate between pressure ulcers and MASD wounds
- Identify wound infections
- Describe the causes, symptoms and treatment for I.V. infiltration
- Classify surgical wounds
- Evaluate the differences between blunt trauma and penetrating trauma
We've included self-assessment quizzes throughout the chapter to help you reinforce the topics you study. If you have any questions about the material, our instructors are available to help you out. You can also access the chapter's resources any time using your computer or mobile devices.
1. I.V. Infiltration: Causes, Symptoms & Treatment
In this lesson, you will learn about I.V. infiltration. Upon the completion of this lesson, you should be able to define and list the causes, symptoms, and treatment of I.V. infiltration.
2. MASD Wound vs. Pressure Ulcer
Moisture Associated Skin Damage (MASD) and pressure ulcers both affect skin integrity, but are very different in nature. Read this lesson to learn more about the specifics of each condition and how their treatments vary.
3. Wound Infection: Identification & Treatment
This lesson will review inflammation and describe how to determine when a wound is infected. Symptoms on wound infections will be described and treatment options presented.
4. Surgical Wound Classification: Definition & Examples
Surgical wounds can be placed into four different classifications: Class I, Class II, Class III, and Class IV. Learn about each of these different classifications and become familiar with examples of each type of surgical wound.
5. Penetrating Trauma vs. Blunt Trauma
Are you confused about the difference between penetrating trauma and blunt trauma? This lesson clearly explains the two types of trauma and gives numerous examples of each.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AACN CCRN (Adult) Certification: Exam Review & Study Guide course
- Patient Assessment & Diagnostics
- Medication Management for Nursing
- Nursing Procedures & Emergency Response
- Acute Coronary Syndromes & Cardiovascular Emergencies
- Aneurysms & Cardiovascular Diseases
- Understanding Heart Disease & Failure
- Understanding Defects & Disorders of the Heart
- Cardiovascular Nursing Actions
- Acute Respiratory Conditions
- Chronic Respiratory Conditions
- Thoracic Injury & Trauma
- Overview of Pulmonary Nursing Actions
- Pulmonary Nursing Actions & Tools for Pulmonary Procedures
- Understanding Endocrine Disorders
- Hematology & Immunology Disorders
- Hematology & Immunology Nursing Actions
- Understanding Gastrointestinal Disorders
- Gastrointestinal Nursing Actions
- Understanding Renal Disorders
- Nursing Actions for Renal Problems
- Integumentary Nursing Actions
- Musculoskeletal Disorders & Nursing Actions
- Understanding Neurological Disorders
- Understanding Traumatic Brain Injuries
- Neurological Nursing Actions
- Understanding Behavioral & Psychosocial Disorders for Nurses
- Behavioral & Psychological Nursing Actions
- Multisystem Clinical Judgments in Nursing
- Understanding Sepsis & Shock
- Healthcare-Associated Infections
- Sedation Nursing Actions
- Professional Care & Ethical Practices in Nursing