About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help studying the details of Johnny Tremain will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to learn about main aspects of the book. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who want to learn a broad topic in a short amount of time
- Students who are looking for easy ways to identify the most important information on the topic
- Students who have fallen behind in their reading of Johnny Tremain
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning literature (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who have limited time to study for an upcoming exam
How It Works:
- Watch each video in the chapter to review all key topics.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with a short quiz.
- Complete your review with the Understanding Johnny Tremain chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: The lessons in this chapter cover only information you need to know.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging instruction makes the chapters easy to understand.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Take the Understanding Johnny Tremain chapter exam to make sure you're prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any question on Johnny Tremain. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: View lessons on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter summarizes the material students need to know about important literary elements of Johnny Tremain for a standard English course. Topics covered include:
- The author of Johnny Tremain
- A breakdown of the characters and plot of the novel
- Key quotes from Johnny Tremain
- The setting and timeline of the story
1. Who Wrote Johnny Tremain?
When you were reading 'Johnny Tremain', did you ever wonder what the author, Esther Forbes, was like? Read the following lesson to hear all about her life, her novels, and her accomplishments!
2. Johnny Tremain: Summary & Characters
Johnny Tremain is a Revolutionary War historical fiction novel that follows a poor apprentice through his journey from childhood to adulthood and shows his involvement in the rebel movement. Read the following lesson for a quick summary and the annotated list of characters.
3. Johnny Tremain Quotes
The way people spoke in the eighteenth century is completely different from the way we speak today. Read about some of the most important quotes from 'Johnny Tremain,' learn what they meant and understand them in terms of how we might say them today.
4. Johnny Tremain Setting
Almost 250 years ago, life in America was completely different. 'Johnny Tremain' gives us a glimpse of colonial Boston in the days before the Revolutionary War began, and we get to experience a taste of the effort put into the fight for American independence from England.
5. Johnny Tremain Timeline
'Johnny Tremain,' by Esther Forbes, is the story of pre-revolutionary Boston as seen through the eyes of the title character. It covers a two year period leading up to the first battles of the Revolutionary War, the Battles of Lexington and Concord.
6. Johnny Tremain Facts
Read the following lesson for the fast facts of the beloved historical fiction novel, ~'Johnny Tremain,~' by Esther Forbes and a breakdown of the story's plot line.
7. Johnny Tremain Character Analysis & Traits
The three major characters of 'Johnny Tremain' - Johnny, Cilla, and Rab - are both realistic and complex. Read the following lesson to learn more about these carefully crafted characters.
8. Theme of Johnny Tremain
In 'Johnny Tremain', there are three major themes that help shape the novel and add depth to the story of a young boy during the American Revolution. Read the following lesson for a rundown of these three important themes.
9. Johnny Tremain Vocabulary
When reading a historical fiction novel, vocabulary can be especially tricky. Don't lose any of the excitement of 'Johnny Tremain' because you don't know the meanings of some of the words. Preview the following lesson before you read!
Johnny Tremain Character List & Flashcards
Did you know that Samuel Adams was more than a popular beer label? This flashcard set contains both the fictional and non-fictional characters in the Revolutionary novel, 'Johnny Tremain.'
Johnny Tremain Vocabulary Flashcards
This set of flashcards will take you through the complex words used throughout Esther Forbes' novel 'Johnny Tremain.' Enhance your knowledge of Revolutionary War terminology, gauge your understanding of historical vocabulary, and study up on unique Massachusetts words.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.