About This Chapter
Understanding Leadership in Organizations - Chapter Summary
Our engaging chapter outlines the role of leadership in organizations for review. In these lessons, you'll study what leadership means in the context of an organization and some of the theories associated with it. Feel free to work at your own pace as you work through these lessons, going back to review any topics that need more attention. To test your knowledge, we've provided short quizzes after each lesson. If you find you need help along the way, reach out to one of our instructors for assistance. After completing this chapter, you should be ready to:
- Identify the role of leaders in organizations
- Outline the different types of leadership philosophy
- Provide an overview for classical leadership
- Detail the five leadership styles of the Blake Moulton managerial grid
- Give an explanation of formal leadership
- Define the attribution theory of leadership
- Describe the effects of leadership succession and turnover
- Discuss the different types of leadership in voluntary organizations
1. Leadership: Leaders & Their Role in Organizations
Leadership is the action of leading employees to achieve goals. It plays an important role in employee performance and productivity. Learn about how leaders influence employee behavior in this lesson.
2. Leadership Philosophies: Types & Examples
In this lesson, you will learn about three basic leadership styles, some specific leadership approaches, and the leadership philosophy that is the best for a given situation.
3. Classical Leadership: Theories, Overview
In this lesson, you'll learn about the four classical leadership theories: trait theory, behavior theory, contingency theory, and transformational theory. In the end, you can test your understanding of these theories with a quiz.
4. The Blake Mouton Managerial Grid: Five Leadership Styles
Learn about the Blake and Mouton Managerial Grid, which includes five styles of leadership: impoverished, country club, produce or perish, middle-of-the-road and team leader. We'll also explore how leadership style is determined by a manager's degree of concern for people or concern for production.
5. Formal Leadership: Definition & Explanation
In this lesson, you'll learn what formal leadership is, including its key concepts. You'll have an opportunity to take a short quiz after the lesson to reinforce your knowledge.
6. The Attribution Theory of Leadership
Many times we make assumptions about individuals by what we observe. How they think, act or talk enables us to make a decision in our own minds as to why they are acting that way. That is the basis of the attribution theory of leadership.
7. The Effect of Leadership Turnover & Succession
Will you be ready when leaders pursue other opportunities? This lesson will discuss the effect of leadership turnover, the reasons that leaders leave, the impact to the organization, and opponent process theory.
8. Types of Leadership in Voluntary Organizations
In this lesson, we identify and describe leadership styles in voluntary organizations. There are different types of voluntary organizations all with different leadership needs. Let's look at the pros and cons of several styles.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Business 323: Organizational Theory course
- Introduction to Organizational Theory
- History of Organizational Theory & Master Theorists
- Types of Organizational Structures
- Power in Organizations
- Managing Conflict in Organizations
- Organizational Decision Making
- Types of Organizational Communication
- Managing Organizational Environments
- Organizational Performance & Recognizing the Need for Change
- Required Assignment for Business 323
- Studying for Business 323