About This Chapter
Understanding Learning Styles - Chapter Summary
This chapter will allow you to delve deeper into the world of learning and learning styles. An interactive video lesson will help you understand what learning entails. Comprehensive text lessons will give you detailed breakdowns of how people with different learning styles operate, ways learning styles can be used while teaching, and personal circumstances that can impact student learning. Examine your progress by taking multiple-choice quizzes about the importance of including learning styles and the science of learning into providing instruction in class.
How It Helps
- Explains the basics: Your in-depth look into the meaning of learning will help you reevaluate your teaching practices and include more effective ones.
- Provides an image: Because you will have an image in your mind of the different characteristics of learning styles, you will know how to identify learning styles in your students.
- Promotes awareness: Your awareness of personal circumstances that can impact a student's learning ensures you can help develop curriculum and teaching techniques to assist them.
By the end of this chapter, you will be able to:
- Discover if a student is learning
- Identify specific learning styles
- Understand the importance of including learning styles in instruction
- Recognize the behavior and attitude of a student that is caused by personal circumstances
- Create curriculum that addresses multiple learning styles
- Use your knowledge of the operation of learning to develop effective teaching techniques
1. What is Learning? - Understanding Effective Classroom Strategies
We all learn new things every day, but how is 'learning' defined in educational psychology? This lesson covers the definition of learning, different types of learning, and discusses learning styles.
2. Characteristics of Learning Styles
Some of us learn by seeing, others learn by doing, and some even learn by listening. This lesson provides an overview of learning styles, including characteristics of each type of learner.
3. Reasons to Incorporate Learning Styles in Teaching
What are learning styles, and why should you incorporate them into your classroom? Learn that while there are criticisms of learning style theory, there are undeniable benefits to using it in your classroom.
4. Personal Factors Affecting Student Learning & Success
Personal factors, like personality and social skills, impact a student's success and ability to learn. This lesson outlines factors that affect student learning and success and details how they impact learning.
5. Applying Awareness of Learning Styles to Teaching
It is important to know about learning styles, but awareness is not the whole story. In this lesson, you will learn about how you can apply what you know about learning styles to improve your teaching.
6. Applying the Science of Learning in the Classroom
The science of learning is the study of how the brain acquires and utilizes new information. In this lesson, we will discuss how to use scientific theories about how we learn as practical principles in the classroom.
7. Left vs. Right Brain Teaching Techniques
In this lesson we discuss left-brained versus right-brained teaching techniques. This includes identifying both the traits and differences of both types of learners so that the educator can utilize the appropriate teaching methodology.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Teaching to Different Learning Styles course