About This Chapter
Understanding and Managing Student Aggression - Chapter Summary
This chapter provides an overview of types of aggressive behavior and how it can be handled in an academic setting. You will develop a deeper understanding of what might cause aggression and ways in which you as a teacher can manage it. The following topics will be addressed in-depth in this chapter:
- Types of aggressive behaviors and mental disorders that may be associated with them
- Managing and preventing aggressive behavior in the classroom
- Ways to recognize and de-escalate aggressive or violent behavior
Video and text lessons take only minutes to review and can be accessed 24/7 from any device, so studying this material is easy and convenient. Examples and key term definitions help to facilitate your understanding and enhance your ability to implement these strategies in the classroom. Short self-assessment quizzes confirm your full understanding of this material.
How It Helps
- Outlines effective strategies for managing aggression: Gives you the tools you need to respond quickly to aggressive behavior before it leads to violence or further disrupts your classroom.
- Presents preventive strategies: Teaches you the best ways to recognize potential aggressive behavior and prevent it before it escalates.
- Encourages a safe learning environment: Shows effective preventive and response strategies that will lessen the chances of aggression in the classroom and maintain a safe academic setting for your students.
By the end of this chapter, you will be able to:
- Understand the types of aggressive behavior
- Recognize the signs of aggressive behavior
- Diffuse an aggressive situation in your classroom
- Apply behavioral management techniques
- Use strategies to avoid aggressive behaviors and reduce the risk of an escalated incident
1. Aggressive Behavior: Definition, Types & Signs
Aggressive behaviors are those that are hostile and violate other people's rights. Learn about reactive and proactive aggressive behaviors, the mental disorders associated with aggressive behavior, and more, in this lesson.
2. Dealing with Student Aggression in the Classroom
In this lesson, we will discuss the best methods for dealing with student aggression in the classroom. In addition to talking about things that teachers can do to diffuse aggressive behavior, we will also explore avenues for preventing this type of behavior.
3. Managing Disruptive Behavior in the Classroom
In this lesson, we will explore the possible causes for disruptive behavior in the classroom. In addition, tips and tricks will be presented to help the classroom teacher to effectively manage different types of behavior.
4. Strategies to Deescalate Aggression & Violence at School
In this lesson, we will discuss strategies that school staff can use with students to help them work through aggression. We will discuss how to recognize and avoid situations that may escalate into violence and how to deescalate these situations when they occur.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the School Violence Prevention course
- Social & Emotional Development During Childhood
- Behavioral & Mental Health in Childhood & Adolescence
- Challenges in Childhood & Adolescence
- Child & Teen Abuse
- Mandated Reporting of Child Abuse & Neglect
- Violence in Homes, Schools & Society
- Teen Dating Violence
- Preventing Bullying in Schools
- School Violence Prevention Strategies
- Intervening & Responding to Crises at School