About This Chapter
Understanding Matrices & Absolute Value - Chapter Summary
Learn about or strengthen your existing knowledge of matrices and absolute value with help from the short lessons in this chapter. Watch fun videos to ensure you comprehend how to graph an absolute value, solve an absolute value equation, take a determinant of a matrix and more. Once you've completed the lessons, you will be prepared to:
- Define a matrix and an absolute value
- Evaluate absolute value expressions
- Solve absolute value practice problems
- Graph an absolute value and do transformations
- Understand dilations and reflections as they relate to graphing absolute value equations
All lessons in this chapter are accessible in their video and full transcript formats. Watch the videos to study concepts visually, and review the transcripts if you'd prefer to read lessons as texts. While reviewing this chapter, if you get stuck and need additional information, feel free to send your lesson topic questions to our experts. Gauge your comprehension of matrices and absolute value by taking short quizzes and a practice exam.
1. What is a Matrix?
As math gets more and more complicated and there become more and more numbers flying around, it becomes really handy to put all these numbers in a nice organized grid... hello matrices! Learn about what they are and why there are used.
2. How to Take a Determinant of a Matrix
Matrices are incredibly powerful and can help you do all sorts of things, but one of the most basic (and surprisingly helpful) operations you can perform on one is to take its determinant. Learn how to do that here!
3. What is an Absolute Value?
When we're talking and comparing numbers, we often don't care whether its positive or negative, just how big it is. This is often called the magnitude of a number and we find it by taking the absolute value. Learn all about it here!
4. How to Evaluate Absolute Value Expressions
Substituting values into absolute values doesn't have to be too hard, but it can be if you're given deceiving beginning information. See if you're up to it by checking out this video!
5. How to Solve an Absolute Value Equation
Once you get familiar with any new operation, the next step in any algebra class is to learn how to solve equations with that operation in them. Absolute values are no different. Solve absolute value equations here!
6. Solving Absolute Value Practice Problems
There are many easy mistakes to make when solving absolute value equations. Learn how to avoid those mistakes here by working on examples of absolute value equations with operations on the inside and the outside of the absolute value.
7. How to Graph an Absolute Value and Do Transformations
Absolute value graphs normally look like the letter 'V', but transformations can change that 'V' in a number of different ways. As well as teaching you how to graph absolute values, this video will focus on a specific group of transformations called translations. Learn all about what that means here!
8. Graphing Absolute Value Equations: Dilations & Reflections
Although a basic absolute value graph isn't complicated, transformations can make them sufficiently confusing! In this lesson, you'll practice different transformations of absolute value graphs.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NY Regents Exam - Integrated Algebra: Test Prep & Practice course
- Number Theory & Basic Arithmetic
- Problems with Decimals and Fractions
- Problems with Percents
- Problems with Exponents
- Problems with Exponential Expressions
- Problems with Radical Expressions & Equations
- Problems with Algebraic Expressions and Equations
- Distributing Terms in Algebra
- Algebraic Linear Equations & Inequalities
- Overview of Functions
- Factoring with Variables
- Quadratics & Polynomials
- Rational Expressions & Practice
- Graphing Functions
- Calculations with Ratios, Percent & Proportions
- Understanding Sets
- Understanding Probability & Statistics
- Factorials & the Binomial Theorem
- Working with Data
- Well-Known Equations
- Intro to Trigonometry
- Measurement for Algebra Students
- Geometry for Algebra Students
- About the NY Regents Examinations
- NY Regents Exam - Integrated Algebra Flashcards