About This Chapter
Understanding Metabolism - Chapter Summary
Get a better understanding of metabolism concepts with this helpful science chapter. Through a series of short and engaging lessons, our instructors show you the basics of chemosynthesis, cellular respiration, protein synthesis, enzyme regulation, gene expression and more. When you're finished with a lesson, take the accompanying self-assessment quiz to make sure you comprehend key terms and concepts. You can revisit the lessons and quizzes as many times as needed, and our instructors are happy to answer any questions you may have. Upon completion of the chapter, you should be equipped to:
- Explain basic enzyme concepts
- Identify factors that affect the activity of enzymes
- Differentiate between photosynthesis and chemosynthesis
- Recognize cellular respiration types
- Understand the structure and function of nucleic acids
- Define the concept of gene expression
- Assess the purpose of protein synthesis
- Compare protein synthesis in eukaryotes and prokaryotes
- Describe enzyme regulation mechanisms
1. What are Enzymes? - Definition & Explanation
In this lesson, you will discover what enzymes are, explore how they work, and learn why they're needed for your cells' day-to-day functions. The lesson concludes with a quiz to test your knowledge.
2. Factors that Affect Enzyme Activity
This lesson focuses on enzyme activity. We'll go over what an enzyme is and how it's used in the body. We'll also look at the different factors that affect enzyme activity, both positively and negatively.
3. Differences Between Chemosynthesis & Photosynthesis
We all make food in different ways, and the same goes for bacteria, plants, and algae. This lesson goes over the two ways by which such organisms produce food: chemosynthesis and photosynthesis.
4. Types of Cellular Respiration
In this lesson, you'll learn about the basics of cellular respiration. You'll learn about the similarities and differences between aerobic and anaerobic respiration, which are the two main types of cellular respiration. Then, you can test yourself with a quiz.
5. Nucleic Acids: Function & Structure
In this lesson, we will explore what nucleic acids are, including the oozing bodily fluid they were first found in, what makes them unique from other types of biological molecules, and why DNA is called the 'blueprint of life.'
6. What Is Gene Expression? - Regulation, Analysis & Definition
What is a gene? How are genes expressed? What does the term gene expression mean? Can we analyze gene expression? These questions will be addressed in this lesson.
7. Protein Synthesis: Definition & Purpose
In this lesson, we will learn about proteins are made in living things. We will also learn why proteins are an important component of the daily diet of organisms, especially people.
8. Protein Synthesis in Eukaryotes
What kind of cells are you made of and how do these cells make protein? In this lesson, we will answer these questions through an investigation into protein synthesis in eukaryotes.
9. Protein Synthesis in Prokaryotes
In this lesson, we'll review what prokaryotes are first. Then, we'll explain the steps and process of protein synthesis in prokaryotes and discover what makes it unique from protein synthesis in other cells.
10. Enzyme Regulation: Mechanisms & Types
This lesson reviews what an enzyme is and its functions. It further discusses mechanisms that regulate enzymes as well as different types of enzyme regulation and concludes with a short quiz.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the UExcel Microbiology: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Early History of Microbiology
- Fundamentals of Microbiology
- Microbiology Laboratory Procedures
- Understanding Genetics & DNA
- Bacterial Biology
- Understanding Diseases
- Protozoan Diseases
- Understanding Viruses
- Overview of DNA Viruses
- Overview of RNA Viruses
- Overview of Fungal Infections
- Illnesses & Infections of the GI Tract
- Overview of Bacterial STDs
- Understanding Blood-Borne Bacterial Diseases
- Respiratory Bacterial Infections
- Bacterial Skin and Wound Infections
- Immunology Basics
- Structure & Function of the Immune System
- Overview of Antigens
- Disorders of the Immune System
- Serological & Diagnostic Reactions
- Antimicrobial Drugs Overview
- Sterilization & Antiseptic Methods
- Chemical Methods of Microbial Control
- Effectiveness of Antiseptics & Disinfectants
- Microbiology & the Environment
- Food & Industrial Microbiology Overview
- UExcel Microbiology Flashcards