About This Chapter
Understanding Neurological Disorders - Chapter Summary
Neurological effects on the brain can occur from different types of diseases and conditions. The lessons in this chapter focus on causes, symptoms and treatment options related to these disorders and diseases.
You will review details about strokes, hemorrhaging, brain bleeding, epilepsy and brain tumors. After you have completed your study of this chapter, you should be able to:
- Describe the characteristics of brain death
- Define and list the symptoms of encephalopathy
- Understand the causes of brain bleeding
- List types, symptoms and treatment for ischemic stroke
- Identify neurological infectious diseases and their pathogens
- Provide details about meningitis and encephalitis
- Differentiate between epilepsy and seizures and recognize how the two are treated
- Name types of brain tumors as well as their causes and symptoms
Expert instructors guide you easily through 5- to 10-minute video and text lessons, define key terms and present examples to facilitate your learning experience. Access these lessons at all times, from any device, so you can conveniently create a flexible study schedule. Use lesson quizzes to determine what you know about each topic as you move through the chapter.
1. Brain Death: Definition & Diagnosis
We have all heard stories about a person being determined to bebrain dead. What does that really mean and how is that determined? In this lesson, we will learn about brain death and how it is diagnosed.
2. What Is Encephalopathy? - Definition, Symptoms & Treatment
Encephalopathy is the scientific term used to describe any abnormality in the brain. Check out this lesson to learn the symptoms and treatment options for those who may experience some form of encephalopathy.
3. Internal Brain Bleeding: Causes & Treatment
In this lesson, we'll be looking at what happens when one of our most important organs, the brain, gets injured and starts to bleed. We'll look at the main causes of brain bleeding and treatments.
4. Intraventricular Hemorrhage: Causes, Symptoms & Treatment
An intraventricular hemorrhage is a specific type of brain injury that results in a brain bleed. Continue reading this lesson for more information regarding the causes, symptoms, and treatments of an intraventricular hemorrhage.
5. Ischemic Stroke: Symptoms & Diagnosis
In this lesson. we will define ischemic stroke. We'll look at how it is diagnosed, along with what causes it. Symptoms and the prognosis for a sufferer will also be discussed.
6. Ischemic Stroke: Types & Causes
This lesson defines ischemic stroke, goes over the two major kinds of ischemic stroke, and some of the major and less well-known causes of this kind of neurological disorder.
7. Ischemic Stroke: Guidelines & Treatment
Ischemic strokes are serious medical emergencies and require immediate medical attention. There is a 'Golden Hour' that is pivotal in the treatment of ischemic strokes. In this lesson we will review the guidelines and treatments for ischemic strokes.
8. Neurological Infectious Disease: Types & Causes
In this lesson we'll be looking at neurological infectious, or infectious of the nervous system. After we learn what neurological infections are, we'll look at the causes of three major types of infections, meningitis, encephalitis, and HIV.
9. Meningitis and Encephalitis: Causes, Symptoms & Treatment
Meningitis and encephalitis are dangerous diseases of the nervous system. Learn what meningitis and encephalitis are, what causes these diseases, their pathophysiology, their signs and symptoms, how they are diagnosed, and how they are treated.
10. Epilepsy: Causes, Types, and Treatments
Epilepsy is a neurological disorder that affects the brain and is commonly characterized by recurring seizures. Learn about the definition, causes, and types of epilepsy, explore the clinical signs, symptoms, and diagnostics of this disorder, and understand how it could be treated.
11. Brain Tumors: Types, Causes, Symptoms & Side Effects
This lesson is about brain tumors, or uncontrolled growth of cells in the brain. We will go over different types of brain cancer, causes, symptoms and side effects of treatment.
12. Terms for Types of Brain Tumors
This lesson discusses the basics and definitions of brain tumors, malignant brain tumors, benign brain tumors, gliomas, meningioma, and increased intracranial pressure.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AACN CCRN (Adult) Certification: Exam Review & Study Guide course
- Patient Assessment & Diagnostics
- Medication Management for Nursing
- Nursing Procedures & Emergency Response
- Acute Coronary Syndromes & Cardiovascular Emergencies
- Aneurysms & Cardiovascular Diseases
- Understanding Heart Disease & Failure
- Understanding Defects & Disorders of the Heart
- Cardiovascular Nursing Actions
- Acute Respiratory Conditions
- Chronic Respiratory Conditions
- Thoracic Injury & Trauma
- Overview of Pulmonary Nursing Actions
- Pulmonary Nursing Actions & Tools for Pulmonary Procedures
- Understanding Endocrine Disorders
- Hematology & Immunology Disorders
- Hematology & Immunology Nursing Actions
- Understanding Gastrointestinal Disorders
- Gastrointestinal Nursing Actions
- Understanding Renal Disorders
- Nursing Actions for Renal Problems
- Understanding Integumentary Disorders
- Integumentary Nursing Actions
- Musculoskeletal Disorders & Nursing Actions
- Understanding Traumatic Brain Injuries
- Neurological Nursing Actions
- Understanding Behavioral & Psychosocial Disorders for Nurses
- Behavioral & Psychological Nursing Actions
- Multisystem Clinical Judgments in Nursing
- Understanding Sepsis & Shock
- Healthcare-Associated Infections
- Sedation Nursing Actions
- Professional Care & Ethical Practices in Nursing