About This Chapter
Understanding Nutrition in Health - Chapter Summary
Many people know that good health involves good nutrition, but not everyone understands what good nutrition entails. This chapter helps you clarify the concept of nutrition by teaching you about food choices and the factors that influence our health. To assist you as you navigate through this chapter, we give you your own user dashboard. When you log into the site, you will start at your dashboard, and you will instantly see what lessons you have recently reviewed, chapter recommendations, and other tools. You even have the option to send questions to our experts from your dashboard. At the end of this health chapter, you should feel ready to do the following:
- Describe the dietary need of water as a nutrient
- Identify how culture, gender, and other issues impact dietary choices
- Analyze how nutritional needs are determined
- Check out behaviors, habits, and resources for making healthy choices
- Compare nutritional benefits, risks, facts, and myths
- Examine worldwide food safety concerns
- Explain eating disorders, their causes, and cultural perspectives
1. Water's Role as a Nutrient: Importance & Dietary Need
Water is an important thing for the entire world and the world inside your body. This lesson will point out why it's important for you and how much you need on a daily basis.
2. Factors that Influence Dietary Choices: Gender, Culture & Other Issues
You are a unique person and therefore, the dietary choices you make should be well-suited to who you are and what you do. The factors that influence these choices will be the focus of this lesson.
3. Determining Your Nutritional Needs
This lesson will teach you about important terms involved in determining your nutritional needs, as well as about a tool that can help you use the latest nutritional science to figure these things out.
4. Making Healthy Nutritional Choices: Habits, Behaviors & Resources
This lesson will help you see how easy it is to track what you eat and change your diet for the better. It will also provide you with additional information on where a wealth of information on healthy nutrition can be found.
5. Nutritional Myths, Facts, Risks & Benefits
Have you heard about the latest supplement craze that will cure you of something? Is it worth taking? This lesson will talk about the benefits, risks, myths, and facts surrounding dietary supplements.
6. Concerns for Food Safety Around the World
This lesson will explore the importance of food safety, who's in charge of food safety, what we're trying to combat, and how you can take action at home to keep yourself safe.
7. Body Dysmorphic Disorder (BDD) & Eating Disorders: Definition & Types
Many of us have something about our appearance that we'd like to change, but for some people these desires can develop into actual disorders. How are body dysmorphic disorder and eating disorders related? This lesson gives you a closer look at these disorders and the impact they can have on people.
8. What Causes Eating Disorders? - Risk Factors and Cultural Perspectives
This lesson takes a broad look at the causes of eating disorders. In addition, this lesson looks at what causes individuals to face higher or lower incidence rates of eating disorders.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Health 101: Principles of Health course
- Health and Wellness Fundamentals
- Psychosocial Disorders & Mental Health
- Stress Risks & Disorders
- Drugs & Addictive Behavior
- Impact of Alcohol & Tobacco on Health
- Substance Use Risks & Disorders
- Healthy Platonic & Sexual Relationships
- Fitness & Weight in Personal Health
- Personal Health for Aging Populations
- Understanding Death & Bereavement
- Heart, Lung & Endocrine System Health
- Understanding Cancer Risks & Treatment
- Immune Disorders & Infections
- Understanding Diabetes & Genetic Disorders
- Environmental Health Basics
- Pollution & Environmental Issues
- Violence, Injury & Personal Safety
- Making Smart Health Care Choices
- Studying for Health 101