About This Chapter
Understanding Oscillations - Chapter Summary
Consult this series of bite-sized lessons to review the basics of oscillation. The chapter offers expert instruction on a variety of oscillation-related terms, equations and laws. You'll review concepts like Hooke's law, simple harmonic motion, pendulums and more. When you're finished working through the chapter, you should be able to:
- Define the spring constant, Hooke's law and simple harmonic motion
- Explain simple harmonic motion in terms of kinematics, kinetic energy and potential energy
- Describe vertical motion, frequency and mass in spring-block oscillators
- Understand pendulum equations
- Assess energy exchange in pendulums
Reinforce your understanding of oscillation topics by taking the interactive lesson quizzes and chapter exam. The lessons come with printable transcripts that you can use to take notes or review offline. Revisit the lessons and quizzes as many times as needed, and feel free to ask our instructors questions if they arise.
1. Hooke's Law & the Spring Constant: Definition & Equation
After watching this video, you will be able to explain what Hooke's Law is and use the equation for Hooke's Law to solve problems. A short quiz will follow.
2. Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM): Definition, Formulas & Examples
After watching this video, you should be able to explain what simple harmonic motion is, describe the features of the motion, and use equations to solve simple harmonic motion problems, particularly for a mass on a spring. A short quiz will follow.
3. Simple Harmonic Motion: Kinetic Energy & Potential Energy
After watching this video, you will be able to explain what simple harmonic motion is, describe the energy interplay involved in various situations, and use energy equations to solve simple harmonic motion problems. A short quiz will follow.
4. The Kinematics of Simple Harmonic Motion
After watching this lesson, you will be able to explain what simple harmonic motion is, and use the kinematics equations for simple harmonic motion (both conceptually and numerically) to solve problems. A short quiz will follow.
5. Spring-Block Oscillator: Vertical Motion, Frequency & Mass
After watching this video, you will be able to explain how a spring-block oscillator is an example of simple harmonic motion. You will also be able to use an equation for a spring-block oscillator that relates the frequency and mass of the block.
6. Pendulums in Physics: Definition & Equations
After watching this lesson, you will be able to explain what a pendulum is, why it is an example of simple harmonic motion, and use equations to solve pendulum problems. A short quiz will follow.
7. Pendulums in Physics: Energy Exchange & Calculations
When a pendulum undergoes oscillatory motion, energy is being transformed between potential energy and kinetic energy. In this lesson we will discuss this energy transfer, including calculating the gravitational potential energy of the pendulum.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MHT-CET: Practice & Study Guide course
- Circular Motion & Gravitation
- Understanding Rotational Motion
- Equilibrium & Elasticity
- Electric Force & Charge
- Current Electricity
- Using Electricity in Engineering
- Electromagnetic Induction & Magnetism
- Wave Motion
- Understanding Sound Waves
- Light Waves
- Kinetic Theory of Gasses & Radiation
- Atoms, Molecules & Nuclei in Physics
- Surface Tension & Energy
- Matter, Atomic Structure & Chemical Bonding
- D-Block Elements, Halogens, Noble Gases & Alcohols
- Basic Measurement in Chemistry
- Understanding Chemical Solutions
- Chemical Reactions & Kinetics
- Concepts of Organic Chemistry
- Crystallization & Hydrogenation
- Applications of Chemistry in Everyday Life
- Variance, Probability & Distributions
- Geometry & 3D Shapes
- Overview of Basic Trigonometry
- Function Operations, Limits & Properties
- Exponents & Logarithms
- Linear Systems
- Vectors in Math
- Introduction to Matrices
- Calculation of Derivatives
- Applications of Derivatives in Calculus
- Integrals & Definite Integrals
- Differential Equations & Applications
- Logic & Algebra
- Plant Reproduction & Growth
- Plant Respiration & Photosynthesis
- DNA, Mendelian Genetics & Inheritance
- Introduction to Genetic Engineering
- Characteristics of Birds & Mammals
- Human Anatomy: Neurology and Endocrinology
- Human Anatomy: Cardiology, Nephrology and Immunology
- Reproduction & Contraception
- Human Disease & Diagnostic Technology
- Origins of Life
- Concepts in Pharmacology
- Concepts in Ecology
- MHT-CET Flashcards