About This Chapter
Understanding Oscillatory Motion- Chapter Summary
In this chapter, our instructors explain information about understanding oscillatory motion. You will learn about topics such as the formulas of simple harmonic motion and the Hooke's law. Other lessons look at oscillations and resonance, and kinetic and potential energy. Objectives covered in this chapter can help you:
- Apply knowledge of simple harmonic motion to practice problems
- Identify the kinematics equations
- Understand the relationship between the spring-block oscillator, vertical motion, frequency and mass
- Solve pendulum problems
- Discuss forced and dampled oscillations
All of the topics that are listed above will be presented to you in either text or video format. The lessons are taught by our professional and knowledgeable instructors who designed them to be engaging, fun and easy-to-understand. Quizzes allow you to test your knowledge of the lessons. Furthermore, there is also a chapter exam that will test you on all of the information that was studied throughout the chapter.
1. Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM): Definition, Formulas & Examples
After watching this video, you should be able to explain what simple harmonic motion is, describe the features of the motion, and use equations to solve simple harmonic motion problems, particularly for a mass on a spring. A short quiz will follow.
2. Simple Harmonic Motion: Kinetic Energy & Potential Energy
After watching this video, you will be able to explain what simple harmonic motion is, describe the energy interplay involved in various situations, and use energy equations to solve simple harmonic motion problems. A short quiz will follow.
3. The Kinematics of Simple Harmonic Motion
After watching this lesson, you will be able to explain what simple harmonic motion is, and use the kinematics equations for simple harmonic motion (both conceptually and numerically) to solve problems. A short quiz will follow.
4. Hooke's Law & the Spring Constant: Definition & Equation
After watching this video, you will be able to explain what Hooke's Law is and use the equation for Hooke's Law to solve problems. A short quiz will follow.
5. Spring-Block Oscillator: Vertical Motion, Frequency & Mass
After watching this video, you will be able to explain how a spring-block oscillator is an example of simple harmonic motion. You will also be able to use an equation for a spring-block oscillator that relates the frequency and mass of the block.
6. Pendulums in Physics: Definition & Equations
After watching this lesson, you will be able to explain what a pendulum is, why it is an example of simple harmonic motion, and use equations to solve pendulum problems. A short quiz will follow.
7. Damped Oscillations, Forced Oscillations & Resonance
How can you tell if the oscillations of an object like a pendulum are damped or forced? How does resonance occur in oscillating systems? In this lesson, learn the answers to these questions and more!
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the UPSEE Paper 1: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Basics of Scientific Units & Measurement
- Understanding the Laws of Motion
- Energy, Work & Power in Physics
- Fundamentals of Linear Momentum
- Understanding Rotation of a Rigid Body
- Gravitation in Physics
- Mechanics of Solids & Fluids
- Properties of Heat & Thermodynamics
- Overview of Waves
- Understanding Electrostatics
- Overview of Current Electricity
- Magnetic Effect of Current
- Magnetism in Matter
- Electromagnetic Induction Overview
- Ray Optics & Optical Instruments
- Understanding Wave Optics
- Overview of Modern Physics
- Overview of Nuclear Physics
- Electronics, Transistors & Signals
- Atomic Structure & Configuration
- Properties of Chemical Bonds
- Redox Reactions Overview
- Chemical Equilibrium & Kinetics
- Electrochemistry & Catalysts
- Colloids in Chemistry
- Colligative Properties of Solution
- Periodic Table & Electronic Configuration
- Overview of Thermochemistry
- Reactions & Compounds in Organic Chemistry
- Understanding Isomerism
- Overview of Organic Compounds
- Properties of Solids in Chemistry
- Overview of Algebra Basics
- Matrices in Algebra
- Probability in Math
- Understanding Trigonometry
- Overview of Coordinate Geometry
- Principles of Calculus
- Vectors in Algebra
- Mechanics Overview
- UPSEE Paper 1 Flashcards