About This Chapter
Understanding Plant Reproduction - Chapter Summary
In what ways do plants reproduce? What are the parts of a flower and what roles do each part play in reproducing? These are among the topics covered in these lessons. You'll find detailed explanations, examples and illustrations of everything from asexual plant reproduction to seed germination. Once you have completed this chapter, you should be able to:
- Cite the pros and cons of asexual reproduction in plants
- Name the reproductive structures of flowers and what each structure does
- Explain types of pollination and what is involved in this process
- List pollination methods
- Describe plant fertilization and how it contributes to the reproduction process
- Define and explain the development of endosperm
- Detail how seeds germinate
Teachers experienced in areas of biology, environmental science and high school science education have prepared these brief but informative lessons, which are designed to simplify the material for quick review and better understanding. Each lesson contains a self-assessment quiz so you can determine how much you have learned and if you still need to review any topics. Track your progress through this chapter on your handy Dashboard.
1. Asexual Reproduction in Plants: Advantages, Disadvantages & Types
Plants are successful because they have evolved to have a variety of ways to reproduce. In this lesson, we will examine asexual reproduction in plants to learn the types, as well as the pros and cons of this means of reproduction.
2. An Angiosperm Life Cycle: Flowering Plant Reproduction
When you think of how plants reproduce, you probably think of flowers. We will look at how flowering plants use specialized reproductive structures to complete an alternation of generations life cycle.
3. Flowers: Structure and Function of Male & Female Components
In this lesson, we'll look at the parts of a flower and learn their functions. These natural beauties provide indispensable services to the plants they adorn.
4. What Is Pollination in Plants? - Definition & Types
This lesson will focus on the important process of pollination in plants. The lesson will also explain the types of pollination and how the environment and animals are involved in pollination.
5. Methods of Pollination and Flower-Pollinator Relationships
Ever wonder why bees are attracted to specific flowers? We will look at why certain animals are drawn to certain plants and other methods of pollination in this lesson.
6. Plant Fertilization: Process & Definition
For you, pollen might just be a trigger for sneezing and watery eyes. But for plants, it's a vital ingredient in the reproductive process. Explore plant fertilization through this lesson, then test your knowledge of what you've learned.
7. Endosperm: Definition, Function & Development
Of all the times you've eaten popcorn, how many times have you actually stopped to think about what you're eating? Popcorn is a seed in which the center of the endosperm has been turned inside out. Learn more about endosperms in this lesson.
8. How Seeds Germinate: Definition & Explanation
Plants function on a rather complex level when compared to other organisms. One of the ways plants reproduce is through seeds. Those seeds must germinate to grow into plants. We will look at the process of seed germination here.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AP EAMCET AM (Agriculture & Medical): Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Diversity in the Living World
- Plant Structures & Systems
- Overview of Plant Physiology
- Understanding Plant Ecology
- Understanding Plant Genetics
- Cell Structure, Function & Division
- Understanding Microbiology
- Basics of Genetics
- Biotechnology Overview
- Zoology Overview
- Structural Organization of Animals
- Types of Animals
- Protozoa Basics
- Biology & Human Welfare
- Type Study of Periplaneta Americana
- Ecology & the Environment
- Human Digestion, Respiration, Circulation & Excretion Systems
- Human Muscular, Skeletal & Nervous Systems
- Human Endocrine & Immune Systems
- Understanding Human Reproduction
- Understanding Genetics & Heredity
- Organic Evolution
- Understanding the Basics of Physics
- Units & Measurement in Physics
- Understanding Motion in Physics
- Systems of Particles & Rotational Motion
- Work, Energy & Power Overview
- Overview of Oscillations
- Overview of Gravitation
- Properties of Solids, Fluids & Gases
- Thermal Properties of Matter
- Rays, Waves & Wave Optics
- Understanding Electricity
- Magnetic Force & Electromagnetism
- Currents, Waves & Circuits
- Communication Systems
- Atoms & Nuclei
- Atomic Structure Overview
- Understanding Elements & the Periodic Table
- Chemical Bonding & Molecular Structure
- States of Matter in Chemistry
- Basic Stoichiometry
- Thermodynamics & Chemistry
- Chemical Equilibrium & Acid-Bases
- Hydrogen & Hydrogen Compounds
- Alkali & Alkaline Earth Metals
- Environmental Chemistry
- Understanding Organic Chemistry
- Solids in Chemistry
- Electrochemistry & Chemical Kinetics
- Surface Chemistry
- Metallurgy Overview
- Polymers Overview
- Understanding Biomolecules
- Everyday Chemistry
- AP EAMCET AM (Agriculture & Medical) Flashcards