About This Chapter
Understanding & Preventing Computer Viruses - Chapter Summary
In this computer science chapter, you'll study the basic components of computer viruses. Our short and simple lessons examine the history of computer viruses, as well as prevention and protection methods agains malware, worm viruses and Trojan Horse viruses. When you're finished with a lesson, try its accompanying quiz to retain the information. The chapter is accessible at any time, and it also includes a comprehensive exam to help you make sure you fully understand these computer virus concepts. By the end of the chapter, you should be equipped to:
- Compare different types of malware
- Recognize methods for protecting computers against viruses
- Explain the history of computer viruses
- Describe removal options and tools for worm viruses and Trojan Horse viruses
1. What is Malware? - Definition, Examples & Types
Viruses, worms, spyware, adware, hijackers, and Trojans. What do all of these things have in common? They're all forms of malware. In this lesson, we'll define malware and discuss some common types and examples.
2. What is a Computer Virus? - Definition, Types & Protection
In this lesson, we'll discover the nature of computer viruses and how they are commonly spread. We'll look at the types of viruses, protection schemes, and some real-life examples.
3. The History of Computer Viruses
In this lesson, we will understand what viruses are. We will also examine their history from the time the idea was conceptualized and developed, to the menace it has evolved into today.
4. What is a Trojan Horse Virus? - Definition, Examples & Removal Options
During this lesson, we will describe a Trojan horse and why it is used. We will also learn the identification of several potential targets. Finally, we will discuss some preventative actions to help avoid future Trojan horse attacks.
5. What is a Worm Virus? - Definition, Examples & Removal Tools
This lesson will explain what a worm virus is and how it differs from other computer attacks. You'll see some examples and learn about tools to remove a worm virus, then take a brief quiz to reinforce this new information.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Computer Science 110: Introduction to Cybersecurity course
- Introduction to Cybersecurity
- Basics of Cybercrime
- The Role of People in Cybercrime
- Policies & Procedures for Cybersecurity
- Tools & Techniques for Cybersecurity
- Impact of Cybercrime on Electronic Communication
- Cryptography in Cybersecurity
- Cybercrime & Software Development
- Operating System & Network Security
- Disaster Recovery in Cybersecurity