About This Chapter
Understanding Racism & Discrimination - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, you'll find lessons on racism and discrimination you can work through at your own pace. The definitions of these concepts are presented, plus an overview of stereotypes and prejudice, the history of racism and contexts for sexism. To make sure you can study when it works best for you, these lessons are accessible 24 hours a day from a computer, tablet or mobile phone. The quizzes we've provided with the lessons and the test at the end of the chapter make handy test prep tools. Help from one of our expert instructors is available when you submit your questions through the Dashboard. This chapter is designed to assist you in achieving the following:
- Define xenophobia and list examples
- Discuss ethnocentricity and what it entails
- Explain ageism and stereotyping the elderly
- Define ableism
- Outline the psychology of nativism and its impact
- Provide a definition and examples of racial discrimination
- Describe the study of gender and sexual discrimination in psychology
- Identify the impact of religious discrimination
- Detail atheist persecution and discrimination
- Outline the history of age discrimination
- Discuss cases involving reverse discrimination
1. Prejudice, Discrimination & Stereotypes: Definitions & Examples
There are many different types of people in the world. What happens when one person thinks or feels a certain way about an entire group of people? Watch this lesson to find out about stereotypes, prejudice, and discrimination.
2. What Is Racism? - Definition, Examples & History
In this lesson, we will consider the meaning of the word 'racism.' We will define the word and look at how it has manifested itself throughout history by considering some examples.
3. Sexism: Gender Differences and Contexts
Sexism and gender differences can be seen in several different contexts within most modern societies. This lesson covers institutional sexism in four general areas: the workplace, family life at home, politics, and the military.
4. Xenophobia: Definition & Examples
In present day we hear a lot about people being xenophobic, but what exactly does that mean? This lesson will discuss xenophobia, its symptoms, and some examples.
5. Ethnocentricity: Definition & Examples
Ethnocentricity is the belief that your own cultural or ethnic group is superior to that of another. Learn more about ethnocentricity from examples. Then, test your knowledge with a quiz.
6. Ageism & Stereotyping the Elderly: Definition & Examples
With this lesson, we will explore the cultural phenomena of ageism and stereotyping an individual due to their age. What stereotypes do you think you have against the elderly or growing older?
7. Ableism: Definition & Examples
Like racism and sexism, ableism is a form of discrimination against people. Unlike racism and sexism, ableism is sometimes invisible, as it has less to do with hating the disabled, and more to do with assumptions about normal ability status.
8. Psychology of Nativism: Definition, Examples & Impact
Understanding nativism is key to comprehending sentiments opposing immigrants in the United States today. This lesson offers an overview of nativism and its impact from a psychological point of view.
9. Racial Discrimination: Definition & Examples
Racial discrimination has been practiced for centuries and has had a profoundly negative impact on the lives of many people. In this video, you'll learn how to define racial discrimination and explore some examples of how it's been used in society.
10. Study of Gender Discrimination in Psychology: Examples & Impact
Understanding gender discrimination is an important part of making sense of gender differentials in life outcomes. This lesson discusses the psychology and impact of gender discrimination with the help of examples.
11. Study of Sexual Discrimination in Psychology: Examples & Impact
Being discriminated against because of sexual orientation can have a major psychological impact, and it can be complex to understand. This lesson discusses the history, causes and effects of sexual discrimination on a psychological level.
12. Study of Religious Discrimination in Psychology: Examples & Impact
Understanding the ways religious discrimination can impact people's thinking and emotional well being is very important to the overall study of diversity in psychology. This lesson discusses examples and impact of religious discrimination in psychology.
13. Atheist Discrimination & Persecution
Atheists, people who don't believe in the existence of God, make up a sizable portion of the world's population. They face discrimination, persecution and even death in not only underdeveloped nations but also liberal democracies like the United States.
14. History of Age Discrimination
Discrimination is not limited to race or sex. In this lesson, we'll talk about the history of age discrimination and see what the law has to say about this issue today.
15. Reverse Discrimination: Definition, Examples & Cases
Reverse discrimination can be a confusing and emotional topic. Through this lesson, you'll learn what defines reverse discrimination and come to understand how it works in society.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Psychology 303: Psychology of Diversity course
- Social Identity & Categorization Theories
- Understanding Diversity in Psychology
- The Psychological Study of Diversity
- Psychology of Diversity Theories & Research
- Psychological Perspectives of Human Behavior
- Understanding of Stereotypes & Biases
- Multiculturalism & Cultural Relativism
- Fundamentals of Cultural Research in Psychology
- Bias, Cultural Competence & Awareness
- Psychology Research Methods & Tools
- Required Assignments for Psychology 303