About This Chapter
Understanding Renal Disorders - Chapter Summary
This entertaining chapter offers a variety of resources you can use to enhance your understanding of renal disorders. Study with the help of top instructors who closely examine acute renal disorders, chronic renal failure, incontinence and much more. By reviewing our lessons, you will be able to:
- Define prerenal failure and discuss its impact on the body
- Share the definition and consequences of intrinsic renal failure
- Describe the impact postrenal failure has on the body
- Explain the causes and symptoms of chronic renal failure
- Detail the causes, phases and treatment of acute tubular necrosis
- Provide the definition and discuss types and causes of incontinence
- List and describe infectious causes of kidney disease
- Discuss manifestations, causes, care and effects of fluid and electrolyte imbalances
Feel confident in your understanding of renal disorders by customizing your use of this chapter's resources based on your study needs and personal schedule. Select as few or as many lessons as you need to strengthen your knowledge, and feel free to visit them any time and as often as you'd like. Reach out to our subject-matter experts if you have questions about specific lesson topics. Our practice exam and mini quizzes make it easy to assess your comprehension of this chapter before taking your test.
1. Acute Renal Failure - Prerenal Failure & Its Effects On The Body
This lesson will mainly focus on the prerenal causes of acute renal failure, why they occur, how they influence the kidneys, and how this in turn causes problems in the body.
2. Acute Renal Failure - Intrinsic Renal Failure & Its Consequences
This lesson will focus on what intrinsic renal failure means, what can cause it, and how it differs from pre-renal failure. We'll also discuss some additional diagnostic and treatment strategies of acute renal failure not covered in other lessons on this topic.
3. Acute Renal Failure - Postrenal Failure & How It Alters The Body
This lesson will zero in on a particular form of acute renal failure known as postrenal failure, including covering its causes, signs, diagnostic tests, and treatment options.
4. What is Chronic Renal Failure? - Causes & Symptoms
This lesson will discuss chronic kidney disease, or chronic renal failure, as it was once more commonly called. We will have an overview of what it means and what it does to your body.
5. Acute Tubular Necrosis: Causes, Phases & Treatment
Acute tubular necrosis refers to the damage and death of kidney cells which can result in decreased function of the kidneys. Learn about the causes, phases, and treatment of this condition.
6. Incontinence: Definition, Types, Causes & Treatment
This text lesson will discuss the definition of incontinence. We will also review the different types of incontinence including specific causes and treatments for each type.
7. Infectious Causes of Kidney Disease
What is a kidney infection technically called? You'll find out in this lesson. You'll also learn what the main cause of a kidney infection is, the two routes it can be established, and how it is diagnosed and treated.
8. Fluid & Electrolyte Imbalances: Manifestations, Causes, Care & Effects
The fluid and electrolyte balance of your body must be maintained to keep your muscles, brain and nerves functioning properly. Learn about conditions and drugs that can upset this balance and how a patient with an imbalance is cared for.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AACN CCRN (Adult) Certification: Exam Review & Study Guide course
- Patient Assessment & Diagnostics
- Medication Management for Nursing
- Nursing Procedures & Emergency Response
- Acute Coronary Syndromes & Cardiovascular Emergencies
- Aneurysms & Cardiovascular Diseases
- Understanding Heart Disease & Failure
- Understanding Defects & Disorders of the Heart
- Cardiovascular Nursing Actions
- Acute Respiratory Conditions
- Chronic Respiratory Conditions
- Thoracic Injury & Trauma
- Overview of Pulmonary Nursing Actions
- Pulmonary Nursing Actions & Tools for Pulmonary Procedures
- Understanding Endocrine Disorders
- Hematology & Immunology Disorders
- Hematology & Immunology Nursing Actions
- Understanding Gastrointestinal Disorders
- Gastrointestinal Nursing Actions
- Nursing Actions for Renal Problems
- Understanding Integumentary Disorders
- Integumentary Nursing Actions
- Musculoskeletal Disorders & Nursing Actions
- Understanding Neurological Disorders
- Understanding Traumatic Brain Injuries
- Neurological Nursing Actions
- Understanding Behavioral & Psychosocial Disorders for Nurses
- Behavioral & Psychological Nursing Actions
- Multisystem Clinical Judgments in Nursing
- Understanding Sepsis & Shock
- Healthcare-Associated Infections
- Sedation Nursing Actions
- Professional Care & Ethical Practices in Nursing