About This Chapter
Understanding Rest & Sleep for Nurses - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
The importance of rest and sleep cannot be overstated. People can't think or physically operate without the requisite down time and this fact is no more evident than in the case of nurses. The lessons in this chapter detail various aspects of the sleep state and offer supportive evidence for the necessity of rest.
Our short videos on these topics contain tags so that you quickly review key points. You have the opportunity to submit questions to instructors if necessary as well. Once you feel confident in your grasp of the material, check out the quiz included with each lesson. The videos in this chapter provide answers to the following:
- What are the states of consciousness?
- How is sleep affected by different factors?
- What is the sleep cycle?
- How do meditation and hypnosis affect the body?
- What are psychoactive drugs?
|Intro to States of Consciousness||Get an overview of the different states of consciousness.|
|Sleep Cycle||Discover the stages of the sleep cycle.|
|Factors that Influence Rest & Sleep||Take a look at the various factors that have an effect on sleep and rest.|
|Hypnosis and Meditation||Learn about the effects of hypnosis and meditation.|
|Psychoactive Drugs||Explore the purpose and effects of psychoactive drugs.|
|Nursing Case Study: Rest & Sleep||Examine a case study on rest and sleep relating to nursing.|
1. States of Consciousness, Self-Awareness & the Unconscious Mind
Consciousness is your awareness of how and why you react to your surroundings. As you watch this video, you may realize that you pass through multiple states of consciousness during any given day.
2. What is the Sleep Cycle? - Definition, Stages & Disorders
What happens when you sleep? Why are dreams typically more intense as morning approaches? This lesson will guide you through the stages of the sleep cycle that make up a full night's rest.
3. Factors that Influence Rest & Sleep
What causes you to fall asleep faster? Is it a set temperature? Do you like the light on? Do you meditate before sleep? There are numerous factors that influence rest and sleep, and this lesson goes over many of them.
4. Altered States of Consciousness: Meditation & Hypnosis
How can you reach an altered state of consciousness without drugs? Meditation and hypnosis are two techniques that can promote a relaxed state of mind. Watch this video to learn the difference between the two and their possible effects.
5. What are Psychoactive Drugs? - Definition, Types & Uses
How do psychoactive drugs alter cognitive states? In this lesson, you'll learn how these chemical compounds affect neurotransmitter functions as well as explore some factors that can affect the outcomes of drug use.
Earning College Credit
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Other chapters within the Nursing 101: Fundamentals of Nursing course
- The Profession of Nursing
- Communication & Interpersonal Relations in Nursing
- Nursing Safety
- Hygiene for Nurses
- Asepsis & Infection Control
- Medication Administration & Nursing
- Understanding the Body's Defenses in Nursing
- Mobility & Immobility Issues in Nursing
- Understanding Pain & Pain Management for Nurses
- Understanding Nutrition for Nurses
- Fluid & Electrolyte Balance Concerns in Nursing
- Understanding Elimination in Nursing
- Understanding Oxygenation in Nursing