About This Chapter
Understanding Sepsis & Shock - Chapter Summary
Explore engaging lessons to feel confident in your knowledge of serious health issues like SIRS, septic shock and anaphylaxis. This chapter provides a comprehensive overview that ensures you understand how to make clinical judgments for these life-threatening complications and conditions among adult patients. After completing the lessons, you will be able to:
- Define and discuss causes of systemic inflammatory response syndrome (SIRS)
- Differentiate between sepsis and SIRS
- Compare and contrast sepsis and septic shock
- Discuss the causes and treatment of hypovolemic and septic shock
- Describe the symptoms and treatment of anaphylaxis
Round-the-clck online access to this chapter lets you study the basics of sepsis and shock during the timeframes and at the Internet-enabled locations of your choice. This chapter's flexibility also lets you review any of the lessons you choose and visit as many times as needed to fully comprehend their contents. If you want to quickly gauge your knowledge of the lessons, feel free to take the accompanying quizzes. Our practice exam also provides a broad review of the entire chapter.
1. What is Systemic Inflammatory Response Syndrome (SIRS)?
This lesson will define Systemic Inflammatory Response Syndrome (SIRS). The clinical signs of the syndrome and possible causes will be described. The need to recognize this syndrome will also be discovered.
2. What is the Difference Between SIRS & Sepsis?
This lesson will identify the difference between systemic inflammatory response syndrome (SIRS) and sepsis. Important facts surrounding the identification and treatment of SIRS and sepsis will be addressed as well as the current trends in this evolving medical issue.
3. What is the Difference Between Sepsis and Septic Shock?
Are you unsure as to what sepsis and septic shock really mean? Are you confused as to the difference between sepsis and septic shock? If you said yes to any question, read this lesson.
4. Hypovolemic & Septic Shock: Causes & Treatment
This lesson will go over the pathophysiology of hypovolemic and septic shock. However, we will also cover what distributive, obstructive, neurogenic, anaphylactic, and septic shock are and how they relate to one another.
5. What Is Anaphylaxis? - Definition, Symptoms & Treatment
What is anaphylaxis and why do people go into shock over it? Read this lesson to learn exactly what anaphylaxis is, what causes it to happen, what the symptoms are, and how to treat it! Knowing this could save someone's life!
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AACN CCRN (Adult) Certification: Exam Review & Study Guide course
- Patient Assessment & Diagnostics
- Medication Management for Nursing
- Nursing Procedures & Emergency Response
- Acute Coronary Syndromes & Cardiovascular Emergencies
- Aneurysms & Cardiovascular Diseases
- Understanding Heart Disease & Failure
- Understanding Defects & Disorders of the Heart
- Cardiovascular Nursing Actions
- Acute Respiratory Conditions
- Chronic Respiratory Conditions
- Thoracic Injury & Trauma
- Overview of Pulmonary Nursing Actions
- Pulmonary Nursing Actions & Tools for Pulmonary Procedures
- Understanding Endocrine Disorders
- Hematology & Immunology Disorders
- Hematology & Immunology Nursing Actions
- Understanding Gastrointestinal Disorders
- Gastrointestinal Nursing Actions
- Understanding Renal Disorders
- Nursing Actions for Renal Problems
- Understanding Integumentary Disorders
- Integumentary Nursing Actions
- Musculoskeletal Disorders & Nursing Actions
- Understanding Neurological Disorders
- Understanding Traumatic Brain Injuries
- Neurological Nursing Actions
- Understanding Behavioral & Psychosocial Disorders for Nurses
- Behavioral & Psychological Nursing Actions
- Multisystem Clinical Judgments in Nursing
- Healthcare-Associated Infections
- Sedation Nursing Actions
- Professional Care & Ethical Practices in Nursing