About This Chapter
Understanding, Solving & Graphing Inequalities - Chapter Summary
The lessons in this chapter help you understand, solve and graph inequalities and absolute value inequalities. You can also review a lesson on how to graph 1-variable inequalities. There are plenty of practice problems available in each lesson. After completing the chapter, you should be prepared to:
- Offer a clear definition for inequality
- Provide an overview of compound inequalities
- Explain how to solve radical inequalities
- Discuss the process of solving quadratic inequalities
- Graph 2-variable inequalities
Our experienced instructors use real-world examples to assist you with understanding, solving and graphing inequalities. The video lessons make learning fun and more interesting. You can study all of the lessons in the chapter or just a select few based on your specific needs. Each video lesson includes a written transcript that you can print and use to study offline.
1. What is an Inequality?
Deciding how to spend your money can be a tricky thing. Should you save it, invest it, or enjoy it? Learn how inequalities can help you make your decision!
2. How to Graph 1- and 2-Variable Inequalities
So an inequality is just an equation with a less than or greater than symbol. But what is the difference between 1 and 2 variable inequalities? What does have a greater than or equal to symbol change? When do you use a number line instead of a coordinate plane? Get those answers here!
3. Set Notation, Compound Inequalities, and Systems of Inequalities
In this lesson, we'll explore the conditions of compound inequalities and learn how to express them using set notation and interval notation. Test you knowledge afterward with a short quiz.
4. Graphing Inequalities: Practice Problems
If you're already pretty familiar with what inequalities are and just looking for a place to practice your skills, this is the place. This lesson covers topics like 1-variable, 2-variable, compound, and systems of inequalities.
5. How to Solve and Graph an Absolute Value Inequality
Taking two skills and combining them to make a more complicated problem is a classic tactic in mathematics. If you feel confident with absolute values and inequalities, see if you can tackle them with their powers combined here!
6. Solving and Graphing Absolute Value Inequalities: Practice Problems
Solving and graphing absolute value inequalities brings a lot of different skills together in one place. The practice problems in this video will give you a good chance to see more examples of absolute value inequalities but will also test your general algebraic knowledge.
7. Graphing & Solving Quadratic Inequalities: Examples & Process
When you finish watching this video lesson, you will be able to graph and solve your own quadratic inequality. Learn what steps you need to take and what to watch for.
8. Solving Radical Inequalities
This lesson will show how to solve radical inequalities using radical definitions and properties. Key terms and radical notes are included to share step by step the method to solve these special types of inequalities.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the CLEP Precalculus: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Recognizing Functions
- Working with Exponential and Logarithmic Functions
- Piecewise and Composite Functions
- Functions as Models
- Understanding Linear Equations
- Radical, Rational and Absolute Value Equations
- Parabolas, Ellipses and Hyperbolas
- Factoring & Solving Quadratic Equations
- Exponents and Polynomials
- Geometry and Trigonometry
- Using Scientific Calculators
- CLEP Precalculus Flashcards
- Additional CLEP Precalculus Flashcards